Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You see this all the time, the real answer is it all depends how you drive. If you drive like you stole it all the time, there is no way you'll get the range declared. You'll also only get the range advertised if you drive at the WLTP speeds (What is WLTP: the Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure? | WLTPfacts.eu). In reality for normal driving at the speed limits it's going to be slightly less than advertised. In winter you'll get about 20% less range too.

Everyone gets really hung up on range, once you own the car though you soon realise that it's really not an issue.

It is well known that the faster you drive, the shorter distance you can drive. The slower you drive, the farther you can go. The Model 3 can be driven over 600 miles of you drive slow enough.

FYI, the same laws of physics apply to ICE vehicles as well.
It's complicated right?! Loads of factors. Stop-start traffic in the rain with the AC on warm then Watt Hours per mile goes up considerably.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There have been many articles reporting on tests of the Model 3, almost all based on far more than 40 miles, and they all suggest much longer ranges than the What Car? review. I'm not worried at all! The way most of us drive we will find ranges not far short of the WLTP figures in summer, although quite a bit less in winter.

Well folks, feel free to believe the scare story BS and cancel your orders if it helps me get my Model 3 quicker :cool:

More seriously, range tests are about as worthwhile as a chocolate teapot as no test will exactly replicate your own driving style, conditions, environment and roads. Get you Model 3, experiment a bit with driving styles and only then will you know what average range you’ll get.

The article has the bad smell of an organisation or media company that derives a lot of its income from advertisements from oil companies and major car manufactures. I would check out some of the blogs of Bjørn Nyland, who has undertaken a lot of analysis of S, X and 3 range capabilities and confirms that Tesla's predictions are generally correct.

Bjørn Nyland (@BjornNyland) | Twitter

My i3 projected range jumps about depending on the conditions that I'm driving it in - e.g. at night with headlights on, wipers going, etc. Sometimes it doesn't move for several miles. I've even seen it go up while I'm actually putting miles on it.

I'll give Tesla the benefit of the doubt on this one.

My i3 projected range jumps about depending on the conditions that I'm driving it in - e.g. at night with headlights on, wipers going, etc. Sometimes it doesn't move for several miles. I've even seen it go up while I'm actually putting miles on it.

I'll give Tesla the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Projected range is calculated depending on how you’ve driven previously, and changes depending how you drive now. Adding more drain with heating or aircon will also reduce it.

The Leaf community used to refer to it as the “GOM”, standing for Guess-O-Meter ;)

The article has the bad smell of an organisation or media company that derives a lot of its income from advertisements from oil companies and major car manufactures. I would check out some of the blogs of Bjørn Nyland, who has undertaken a lot of analysis of S, X and 3 range capabilities and confirms that Tesla's predictions are generally correct.

Bjørn Nyland (@BjornNyland) | Twitter
Isn't 240mile about right for the P3+ in mixed driving? That result wasn't different to what I've seen owners saying, with others on TMC speculating the Tesla figure was achieved with 18".

Reactions: Keeper
Projected range is calculated depending on how you’ve driven previously, and changes depending how you drive now. Adding more drain with heating or aircon will also reduce it.

The Leaf community used to refer to it as the “GOM”, standing for Guess-O-Meter ;)
Yup. I wasn't saying it was inaccurate, moreover that if I got in to a fully charged i3 and drove it hard then I'd expect it to tell me quite quickly that the range is much less than what it's capable of doing.

That wouldn't mean that it's not capable of the advertised range though, which seems to be what this article is implying.

Reactions: Roy W.
Just saw this article regarding range tests

If you aren't driving out of range then drive it like you stole it, if you want to. Leave home every morning with a full tank.

On days when you are driving out of range then some things apply, and they are very rarely considered in magazine range tests and are certainly not part of WLTP (which is a combined cycle test - useless for Range)

I assume I will be driving at 75 MPH on the motorway, with no traffic nor roadwork holdups. I will be driving from 100% down to somewhere below 20%, but rarely below 10%. Any start-off-penalty (cold soaked battery / cabin climate conditioning) will be averaged over that journey, and any climate I need for the journey will be at 75 MPH - so for relatively short duration and, as such, not use a lot of energy (per mile). Any shorter journey is a compromise on all those aspects and is never a good indicator of actual range. So ignore any extrapolated test ... if the tester can't be bothered to drive it "from full until empty" then ignore.

If range is tight for that constant 75-MPH journey chances are good that, in practice, I will hit traffic and/or roadworks, and that will increase my range such that "tight" becomes "comfortable". Worst case I will have no holdups and will need to slow down or make an extra charging stop.

Try your range challenged journey in A Better Routeplanner which has pretty good algorithm for accuracy

Bjorn's videos are useful, but all his tests are a bit on the slow side for UK driving, but he does do constant-speed (conditions permitting) on motorway, so useful comparison model-to-model and brand-to-brand.