Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...accuracy of this...

It's hard to duplicate laboratory conditions but my Model 3 Long Range real trip of 224.37 miles actually only used 194.2 battery rated miles if you have time to watch the more than 3 hour unedited video:

Another one with 215.75 miles driven but only used 188.39 battery rated miles if you have time to watch the more than 4 hour unedited video:

Those involved climbing up (and down) 4,144 foot Tejon Pass, CA.

It's how human drive and whether the traffic would force you to slow down or not.

Reactions: groovidad
I am concerned about this, One of my requirements for the performance addition is to drive 210 miles in one sitting without stops, due to my job and the time i have to leave.

even using the route planner linked above it doesn't look likely it will be able to do it without a stop.

Did you use the default settings? iirc the default speed is up to 95mph.

There are a number of settings that you should however play with. Like climatic, seasonal, speed, and charge settings - start and min charge in your case and I suspect this is why its likely to be giving you a quick splash and dash.

You may also want to plan it as a round trip if thats what your use case is - no point arriving with low state of charge and not having enough charge and/or time to start on your way home. Having a destination charger available may be necessary for you, but 7kWh is probably not going to get you back home without a top-up somewhere.

I tried changing the settings around a bit but leaving my house at 100% charge i was getting to portsmouth with only 11% charge remaining which included a 4 min stop to top up. Seems crazy it uses that much charge for a 210 mile trip according to that website.

Just saw this article regarding range tests. Can anyone who’s taken delivery comment on the accuracy of this?

Test reveals that the range of Tesla's Model 3 is 90 miles less than claimed | This is Money

So about the same as all my previous ICE vehicles then.

difference is if you drive a Tesla sensibly you can actually get close to the rated range in good conditions.
Hoon it and you pay in range, what's new. 50mpg in an Audi S5 being driven like you stole it anyone? try low 20's more like (was embarrassingly proud of 8mpg in an RS5 once! - wouldn't touch anything VAG now after dieselgate lies ofc)

No matter how sensibly I drove various ICE I could never get near the claimed 50-70mpg on my typical journeys and got more like 30-40mpg ... then you can do the math on the CO2/NOx etc and realise what an utter con we are being fed.

"FUD muppet" - QOTD

The article comments tell you who the story was written for. People like my parents who read in the Daily Mail that their journalist tried to drive from Manchester to Glasgow, ran out of power and had to call the AA because there wasn't a charger on his route.

Similarly this article seems to suggest that their average reader would believe the manufacturer's stated range over the vehicle's display and ignores that similar discepacies are present with ICE vehicles.

If I took Skoda at their word, my Octavia vRS TDi DSG would average around 60mpg, meaning I could travel 600 miles if I ran the 45 litre tank from full to empty. In reality I would have been looking for fuel at 360 miles and run out after 420 miles of average driving (based on 56k miles of fill-ups tracked in my geeky spreasheet).

In my use case I'm only getting 66% of the claimed range but I expected that just as I expect my M3P to get 250 miles.

drive 210 miles in one sitting without stops, due to my job and the time i have to leave.

even using the route planner linked above it doesn't look likely it will be able to do it without a stop.

If your plan is for best-conditions you will get caught out by bad ones - Winter, heavy rain, car a few years old and some battery degradation.

Likely more chargers will become available on your route, over time, which may help.

You can drive slower to get better range. 5 - 10 MPH reduction makes a significant difference - as will having to slow down for traffic / road works. Car has a TRIP graph - that shows you the predicted energy use and arrival percentage, and then an Actual line, and revised predicted arrival percentage. Using that it is easy to see that you can speed up if predicted arrival has plenty spare, and slow down (or stop to charge) if not.

ABRP will be fairly worst case - not allowing for traffic/road works - so real-world likely to be a bit better, but if that journey is critical to you, and range is tight, at best, and you are not able to include a charging stop, then I don't think it is going to work for you.

Seems crazy it uses that much charge for a 210 mile trip according to that website.

What was the wH/mile for the journey? You are right, it would be worth reviewing that rules out if some setting has mucked up the figures

Just a data point for an idea of reall world range. This was a good bit of mixed driving today. At this rate 100% should yield just shy of 220 miles.
IMG_20190818_161502.jpg

I tried changing the settings around a bit but leaving my house at 100% charge i was getting to portsmouth with only 11% charge remaining which included a 4 min stop to top up. Seems crazy it uses that much charge for a 210 mile trip according to that website.
I just planned a journey on A Better Routeplanner for my upcoming Model 3 LR AWD 18 aeros, and I get from Dundee to Preston 236 miles with 9% spare, no charging, max speed 75mph. Is your journey up Everest?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Denied.

After 18,248 miles in a Model 3 Performance
Rated for 310 miles of range on a 75kWh battery
Average use is 237 Wh/mi
75000 Wh/237Wh/mi is 316 miles.
20190818_105215_001.jpg

In nearly a year of real world driving to the office and trips, the
Model 3 Performance has 316 miles of range.
Note that this is mostly interstate where the range is worse.
In city driving, I get more like 200 Wh/mi which is more like 375 miles of range.

Last edited:
Are you not on 20"? That's an amazing result even for 18", what kind of driving do you do?
It is a M3P- so 18" tires. 2" lower would not make it through our snows.
It's 47 miles round trip to work with about 42 miles of interstate. Trips are almost all interstate so 80% highway.
This includes winter months often below zero F with coldest days at -20F when range drops to 250 miles. And hot summer days near 100F that also kill range.
So if you live in San Francisco or London, your results should be much better.

Reactions: Roy W.