Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone help with used purchase questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to get the car in your Tesla account after delivery from Carvana? Carvana told me they won't push through all the final paperwork until after the 7 day guarantee window. I heard you can't use a supercharger or use the phone app until you get the paperwork back - only until then will you have the proper paperwork so that Tesla will let you add the car to your account. Can anyone let me know if that sounds right? Trying to piece all the details together.

PS- I kind of high jacked this thread but everyone is providing some good info so thanks for that.

it happens quick, like 24 hrs. Just upload a copy of your registration and DL (I think). The info is all in your Tesla account.

You made a Tesla account, correct?

I'm taking delivery Friday of a 2018 LR RWD and have the same question. The screen shot on Carvana's site shows the summon, but the slider is in the off position. Also it doesn't show traffic lights and stop sign control. Where does this leave me?
I'm taking delivery Friday of a 2018 LR RWD and have the same question. The screen shot on Carvana's site shows the summon, but the slider is in the off position. Also it doesn't show traffic lights and stop sign control. Where does this leave me?

Hard to tell. Maybe EAP? I’m also getting a LR RWD from Carvana. There’s a lot of “pending” Tesla’s in that category on the Tesla site.

this post helped me figure out the autopilot screen shots: Full self driving- how can i tell if a car has it?

it happens quick, like 24 hrs. Just upload a copy of your registration and DL (I think). The info is all in your Tesla account.

You made a Tesla account, correct?

Yes, I have a Tesla account. I see that I need to provide Title, Registration, or Temp Registration along with my DL on the last step. Thanks, I was originally trying to find this info on the app but I see logging into the website has way more options.

Reactions: medphys3
I bought my car used and it came with EAP. With EAP there was no options for Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control or Full Self Driving Visualization Preview. My 2018 M3P with EAP had Computer HW 2.5. I later purchased the FSD upgrade, which involved upgrading my computer to HW3.0 and once that was installed the Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control along with FSD Visualization Preview options were then available. So, since you have both of these options displayed in your AP settings, you have HW3.0 with FSD.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to get the car in your Tesla account after delivery from Carvana? Carvana told me they won't push through all the final paperwork until after the 7 day guarantee window. I heard you can't use a supercharger or use the phone app until you get the paperwork back - only until then will you have the proper paperwork so that Tesla will let you add the car to your account. Can anyone let me know if that sounds right? Trying to piece all the details together.

PS- I kind of high jacked this thread but everyone is providing some good info so thanks for that.

I bought a used M3 a few months ago in a private sale. I had to charge on the return trip and had no issues. Once the car is switched over to you in the Tesla system they'll bill you for the supercharging.

Once you get the title document you send that to Tesla along with a photo of the driver license. Took them two days as I recall to get mine switched over. Once that is done you can use the app. Until then you need to use the key cards to lock/unlock the vehicle and to start the car.

Reactions: crankypants
One last question if anyone might know... When you use the Tesla site to claim ownership of your used car, there is a check box that says, "I purchased my car from a third-party dealer"

Does anyone know why they would ask that? Just wondering if that's a valid question or is there something else behind it?

Attachments

• ThirdPartyDealer_Question.png
    ThirdPartyDealer_Question.png
    31 KB · Views: 100
Hello, not to high Jack the thread but i see OP hasn’t updated us on the outcome of his purchase.

I just recently purchased a 2021 M3 LR with FSD from Carvana and I was wondering if anyone has an update on if the FSD stayed with the car after purchase?

I have enclosed some screenshots I took as soon as the vehicle came off the truck. Thanks!

~FlyWithRookie

Attachments

• C8757561-A75A-471D-B38A-69109DB94AD2.jpeg
    C8757561-A75A-471D-B38A-69109DB94AD2.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 3AAB7C24-7DBE-491B-ADD1-D652EE31621F.jpeg
    3AAB7C24-7DBE-491B-ADD1-D652EE31621F.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 66
  • 44C09CB5-8524-4624-BDB4-5F2411667551.jpeg
    44C09CB5-8524-4624-BDB4-5F2411667551.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 62
Hello, not to high Jack the thread but i see OP hasn’t updated us on the outcome of his purchase.

I just recently purchased a 2021 M3 LR with FSD from Carvana and I was wondering if anyone has an update on if the FSD stayed with the car after purchase?

I have enclosed some screenshots I took as soon as the vehicle came off the truck. Thanks!

~FlyWithRookie
Following this. I am in a process of purchasing a 2019 M3 LR with FSD from Carvana. My delivery is a week from now. Were you able to register the Tesla nad have FSD show up on your phone app?

FSD will stay with the car, unless (I assume) the previous owner was on the subscription plan. Then it would fall off after the period expired.

I got mine from Carvana in October of 2020 and had it in my account within 24 hrs of uploading the documentation.

Following this. I am in a process of purchasing a 2019 M3 LR with FSD from Carvana. My delivery is a week from now. Were you able to register the Tesla nad have FSD show up on your phone app?
No i just received my 2nd Tesla Friday. I can’t do anything until the plates come I believe. I still have FSD though. I’ve gotten it to work on the highway but not fully on the streets.

It took 4 business days to have our preowned 2021 added to my Tesla account this past week. Tesla told me they have been slammed with these requests the last two weeks.
It took 4 business days to have our preowned 2021 added to my Tesla account this past week. Tesla told me they have been slammed with these requests the last two weeks.
Awesome news. That isn’t too bad of a wait honestly. It’s still within the 3-5 days I’ve heard about. Did you upload the registration only when Carvana sent you your plates? Do you mind sharing approximately how long after the 7 day return policy it took for you to get your registration from Carvana? I’m in SoCal and I had mines delivered.

Awesome news. That isn’t too bad of a wait honestly. It’s still within the 3-5 days I’ve heard about. Did you upload the registration only when Carvana sent you your plates? Do you mind sharing approximately how long after the 7 day return policy it took for you to get your registration from Carvana? I’m in SoCal and I had mines delivered.
I bought mine from Vroom. I emailed in my vehicle invoice sheet, Texas title application, and a copy of my DL along with the email address of my Tesla account. This was all submitted the day I got delivery of the Tesla.