TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can anyone identify the brown dust/smoke coming from the driver's door mirror?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by DavidB, Jun 14, 2017.

1. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

In the NHTSA 2017 Tesla Model X Frontal Crash Test video,

beginning at roughly 24 seconds, brown dust/smoke can be seen coming from the area near the driver's door mirror. Can anyone identify the cause/source?

• Like x 1
  2. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

@1:04 it comes out of the mirror. It is seems heavier than smoke, some kind of powder. Maybe talcum powder from wiring?

3. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It's airbag dust coming through the small triangular window behind the mirror.

• Like x 1
  4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

It's a common variety of puffball fungus which grows in American side mirrors.

Bovista mirracosa

It can only release its spores during a accident, allowing these to spread to nearby vehicles.

So the driving habits of many ensures its survival.

Unfortunately the advent of driverless vehicles and the resulting drop in accident rates is a threat to the long term future of these particular fungi.

• Funny x 5
  5. hmmm

hmmm Member

Spilled coffee? They're going to have to redesign the cup holders again...

• Funny x 2
  6. flar

flar Member

At :43 you can see it originate from the driver's window. The mirror just caught it like a scoop and tossed it back.

My guess would be something coming from the airbag deployment.

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

It's the special electrical smoke contained in all electrical device wiring that make them function. It's hard to come by so once it is released, best to just get new one. :p
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 7
  8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

9. Got-EMF

Got-EMF Member

Where does NHTSA do it's testing? I suspect the driver was burning one down and this is the supposed cause of the accident and the smoke.

• Funny x 1
  10. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I think it is sand/dust in the mirrors. Watch around 0:50+, at the passenger side mirror.

Same thing, albeit less than driver's side. I think the difference may be that the airbag deployment on the driver's side may have created greater air currents pushing the material out, whereas the passenger side is just from the impact. My WAG.

Also if you watch the roof/windshield, similar material appear to be flying forward with the crash as well.

Where is the test facility? (I'll have to look that one up)

11. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

One day I checked my Tesla with an EMF meter. Seems the cellular/Wi/Fi antenna is in the outside rear view mirror. Not that that could be the cause of smoke, but it's worth mentioning.

(2012 appeared to have stronger EMF reading on the driver side. The 2016 and 2017 have a stronger reading on the passenger side. There is a lower reading on the driver side. Maybe LTE on the passenger side and Wi/Fi on the driver side?)