Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone identify the brown dust/smoke coming from the driver's door mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
In the NHTSA 2017 Tesla Model X Frontal Crash Test video,
beginning at roughly 24 seconds, brown dust/smoke can be seen coming from the area near the driver's door mirror. Can anyone identify the cause/source?

Reactions: Algbc
It's a common variety of puffball fungus which grows in American side mirrors.

Bovista mirracosa

It can only release its spores during a accident, allowing these to spread to nearby vehicles.

So the driving habits of many ensures its survival.

Unfortunately the advent of driverless vehicles and the resulting drop in accident rates is a threat to the long term future of these particular fungi.

At :43 you can see it originate from the driver's window. The mirror just caught it like a scoop and tossed it back.

My guess would be something coming from the airbag deployment.

It's the special electrical smoke contained in all electrical device wiring that make them function. It's hard to come by so once it is released, best to just get new one. :p
101061.jpg

I think it is sand/dust in the mirrors. Watch around 0:50+, at the passenger side mirror.

Same thing, albeit less than driver's side. I think the difference may be that the airbag deployment on the driver's side may have created greater air currents pushing the material out, whereas the passenger side is just from the impact. My WAG.

Also if you watch the roof/windshield, similar material appear to be flying forward with the crash as well.

Where is the test facility? (I'll have to look that one up)

One day I checked my Tesla with an EMF meter. Seems the cellular/Wi/Fi antenna is in the outside rear view mirror. Not that that could be the cause of smoke, but it's worth mentioning.

(2012 appeared to have stronger EMF reading on the driver side. The 2016 and 2017 have a stronger reading on the passenger side. There is a lower reading on the driver side. Maybe LTE on the passenger side and Wi/Fi on the driver side?)