Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone recommend a dashcam installer in Birmingham?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla forum may literally be the worst place to ask that question given that they come pre-installed with 6 cameras which is enough for 99% of people
Cameras which miss a second every minute, thereby making them unreliable for capturing incidents when you need them to. As I found out the first time I needed video.
Huge disappointment.
I’ve had a dashcam in my cars for 10 years and TeslaCam is not as good as an £80 Mobius dashcam.
Anyway, can anyone help with the original question, please?

Reactions: seadog and candida
Cameras which miss a second every minute, thereby making them unreliable for capturing incidents when you need them to. As I found out the first time I needed video.
Huge disappointment.
I’ve had a dashcam in my cars for 10 years and TeslaCam is not as good as an £80 Mobius dashcam.
Anyway, can anyone help with the original question, please?
do you really need an installer?!

I did not realize there is an issue with dash cam on model S. good look in your searches, but basically any car electrician would do that

do you really need an installer?!

I did not realize there is an issue with dash cam on model S. good look in your searches, but basically any car electrician would do that
I want someone experienced with Teslas as I’ve heard stories of dashcams being installed incorrectly and it invalidating Tesla warranties. I feel it’s a mistake to assume that Teslas are the same as other cars.

Tesla forum may literally be the worst place to ask that question given that they come pre-installed with 6 cameras which is enough for 99% of people
The big issue with the Tesla cam is that recording is saved ONLY if you click on the dascam button or use your horn.
- A dashcam should be running ALL THE TIME when driving.

The 6 cameras video recording is storing sequentially for few seconds alternatively one camera at the time,
so you miss a lot of recording when looking at the resuting video recorded.
- A dashcam should be storing each camera (front and rear) individually all the time without interruption.
Each recording segment (one minute in general) should overlap the previous one.

Very often the expected Tesla recording is missing.
- As mentionned above, a dashcam should be running ALL THE TIME when driving.

Reactions: Sparkeur
The big issue with the Tesla cam is that recording is saved ONLY if you click on the dascam button or use your horn.
- A dashcam should be running ALL THE TIME when driving.

The 6 cameras video recording is storing sequentially for few seconds alternatively one camera at the time,
so you miss a lot of recording when looking at the resuting video recorded.
- A dashcam should be storing each camera (front and rear) individually all the time without interruption.
Each recording segment (one minute in general) should overlap the previous one.

Very often the expected Tesla recording is missing.
- As mentionned above, a dashcam should be running ALL THE TIME when driving.
but dash cam IS running all the time. And it saves video after the press of the button. Like with any other 3rd party dash cam.

all of them overwrite old clips unless you save them specifically. Once you press save - it saves all camera videos.

Reactions: Adopado
but dash cam IS running all the time. And it saves video after the press of the button. Like with any other 3rd party dash cam.

all of them overwrite old clips unless you save them specifically. Once you press save - it saves all camera videos.
It misses a second or two every minute though. It seems there is a lag when the recording starts.
Third party dashcams record constantly and overwrite when the card is full. Put a 64 or 128gig card in there and you have days of recording unless you’re driving constantly.
There is usually a button to save recordings to a different folder for ‘incidents’. But it’s not particularly necessary if you make a note of when the incident happened, you can just find the video later.
I don’t like dashcams that overlap videos because then it’s a pain to edit them together into a longer sequence. Even the cheapest old dashcams (my two 2013 £80 1080p Mobius dashcams included) record seamless, continuous video without overlap or interruption.
I have a Thinkware dashcam here awaiting installation in to my S. Just need an experienced installer to put it in.

I have tested the cars dash cam and it always saves up to the last 10 mins of a drive in RecentClips. Yes, it does miss about one second every minute but if you got into an accident I'm pretty sure you could still work out what has happened.

If you press the Horn or press Record, you should wait at least 1 minute after the incident so you can capture before and after the event. This is a police requirement.

I find TeslaCam Viewer II is good is a good app to view or save all clips to a PC, if needed.
Also having 4 cameras is better than one or two compared to using a purpose built dash cam...

PS. I use a short 10cm extension cable inside the glove box to make getting the USB memory in/out of the car...

Good to know. For what it's worth I think you asked a completely reasonable question. Sentry mode isn't infallible and uses a lot of battery (though I'm not sure how long a regular dashcam can be set up to run for)