Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone recommend a decent PPF detailer in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of coating my Model 3 with PPF, but prices range around £3500 for the entire car.

Can anyone recommend a decent detailer in the UK, one that's cheap, but good quality?

Not sure whether to have some kind of nano-ceramic coating on top of the PPF too. Whatever means less maintenance and is easier to clean I guess for the years ahead.

I had mine done at Topaz Detailing near Heathrow. Very pleased with the quality of their work, and the cheapest car their car park was probably 10x the price of mine! which suggests that their work is well appreciated. (Checking their site they do have Model-3 piccies on Instagram)

cheap, but good quality

I reckon those are mutually exclusive for this job. Worth avoiding excessive pricing of course, but the only "cheap" route I know is to do it yourself. Plenty of YouTubes on that ... definitely doable, and cheap, but very time consuming. That said, no reason not to do one panel at a time, so doesn't have to be all-at-once.

I had mine done at Topaz Detailing near Heathrow. Very pleased with the quality of their work, and the cheapest car their car park was probably 10x the price of mine! which suggests that their work is well appreciated. (Checking their site they do have Model-3 piccies on Instagram)

I reckon those are mutually exclusive for this job. Worth avoiding excessive pricing of course, but the only "cheap" route I know is to do it yourself. Plenty of YouTubes on that ... definitely doable, and cheap, but very time consuming. That said, no reason not to do one panel at a time, so doesn't have to be all-at-once.
Good morning.

Delivery 29th June - so far so good!

I have arranged for myMY to be transported from the Tesla Staines, Deliver Hub, after my inspection, to Reep Automotive.

I could not afford their full monty package.(5k+) but I have gone for a partial PPF (front end) and multi coats of ceramics and the appropriate coatings everywhere else; wheels off, glass and interior. It would be just like Sod's law to incur damage whilst driving it to Reep, so I am coughing up for the trailer.

I found my self, this morning wondering how they will deal with the PPF application at the six sensors on the front of the car (particular care should be taken with the Tesla's 6th sensor:rolleyes:).

Reep do not apply the ubiquitous Xpel but are agents for a new manufacturer.

Youtube vids suggest that of the two options for dealing with PPF at the sensors, each has its issues:

Options a) template cut holes for the sensors.
Option b) cutting out a circle around the sensors post PPF application.

Option a) brings difficulties with lining up the holes in an area of the car where PPF stretching is required.

Option b) calls for skill with knife/scalpel blades and a conscientious approach to changing the blade after every two holes are cut.

A small dilemma :

Should I raise the issue of the sensors with Reep Automotive or should I rely on the confidence in their professionalism which prompted me give them the business in the first place? Here again, I hear Sod chuckling.

I have learned so much about Tesla cars; their construction, vulnerabilities and preventative treatments. All of which, for a bloke who worries for England, I could do without. However, I can't "unknow" knowing these things - at least, not until the ..what do you call it..... loss of memory associated with ageing ......I'm sure there is a name for it.......

Any options based on experience or the common sense which abounds here would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Transported?
Just drive it. They're going to have to fix up the paintwork anyway especially if tesla have washed it with the same kind of gritty rag as they did mine. And you get to do a bit more of a thorough inspection, calibrate the cameras, have a play around etc.
Just ask them what they do about the sensors - If they're professionals they'll either know and tell you or they'll find out and do it right.

Transported?
Just drive it. They're going to have to fix up the paintwork anyway especially if tesla have washed it with the same kind of gritty rag as they did mine. And you get to do a bit more of a thorough inspection, calibrate the cameras, have a play around etc.
Just ask them what they do about the sensors - If they're professionals they'll either know and tell you or they'll find out and do it right.
Much appreciated and agreed.

However, I fear more than a few stone chips when taking my first drive down country lanes whilst overflowing with joy and enthusiasm or possibly being deeply disappointed with the cars condition.

I believe the former will be the case. Either way though, I am straining at the bit to drive myMY. However, tormented by thoughts of Sod's law, it's going on the trailer.

Now then.... SWMBO says " Trailers also crash! Just saying"

Any options based on experience or the common sense which abounds here would be much appreciated.
The PPF applied to my front bumper (model 3) has had no impact on the operation of the sensors.

The entire bumper was covered, then with a scalpel the circumference of the parking sensors was cut to allow the sensors to be removed from the bumper if they ever needed to be replaced, without having the remove the PPF from the bumper first. The fascia of the sensor therefore remains protected with PPF.

I can't see how this approach is any different to other car manufacturers so I'm sure the company you've booked with will know what to do.

However, I fear more than a few stone chips when taking my first drive down country lanes whilst overflowing with joy and enthusiasm or possibly being deeply disappointed with the cars condition.
Think you're getting a bit too paranoid.
I go slow(ish) on gravel tracks and keep away from the edges of country roads etc where possible and haven't had a stonechip in a year of ownership. That's with ceramic coating - no ppf. And they can fix a stonechip while they have it in the shop.
I do have a couple of scratches on the door panels where people have pushed past the car. I did get annoyed but realised that only I can see them and it's going to happen anyway at some time. (The ceramic still looks really shiny and 1000 times better than it looked when I picked it up.)
The inside is going to get muddy at times, the door panels are going to get scuffs from your shoes. The inside B-Posts will pick up mysterious scratches. Kids will drop crumbs into the carpets and seams of the seats that you can never get out no matter how strictly you ban food from the car. And one day it'll be 5 years old and there'll be better cars on the market.

It's nice to have a good looking car - but you also have to enjoy it and not be a slave to it
(saying this my wife does get annoyed when I spend 2 hours doing a full jetwash, snow foam, 2 bucket wash, rinse, fallout remover, clay bar, rinse, drying aid spray, and then get through a stack of microfiber towels - but it does sparkle afterwards)

Reactions: Lord Farquad