Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone send me pics of the inside of their HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Like an idiot, I parked on snow on my sloped driveway and my car slid, tearing the cable out of my HPWC and cracking my charge port.
I got the charge port replaced at my SC, and they kindly gave me a new HPWC cable - but the inside of my HPWC has some damage I need to fix. Nothing major, but there are a few parts I just don't know the wiring for.

I need to know what wires go into connector CNA6 - it took most of the damage.
I've got a loose red wire coming from CNA11 I don't know the destination for.
I'm not sure where the ground strap wire goes from A4
I've got the screw terminal block from CNA5 and will replace it, but I don't know which wires went where into it - it got torn off the board, then the wires got torn out of the connector, so it's a mystery unless someone can send me this info.
I don't know where the 3 small wires from the charge plug go - gnd and the 2 data lines. I'm assuming they go to CNA5, but not sure which goes where in.

The unit looks fine otherwise, and it did a good job - not a spark or anything - it and the car shut down gracefully. My only complaint is that the car was stuck in the middle of the street until I was able to wrench the charge cable out of the port. Sometimes I wonder if the car should have a "I know the plug is in, but I REALLY need you to drive and I promise it's OK" mode.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help me get this going again. Charging off my UMC like a caveman until I get this sorted.

Attachments

• 20171224_103005.jpg
    20171224_103005.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mygr8
Hey,
I had an uninstalled wall connector sitting around so I snapped some pics. The screw terminal is pretty self explanatory. The grouping strap just twists around the red and black wires that go into the cable.

As for the loose red wire, I can't tell where it goes because it is under a sealed plastic cover that is melted into place (I think). All I can say is that there is also a black wire in that connection that seems to be missing from yours. Both red and black wires follow the larger red/black wires up into an area which I cannot see. Let me know if theres anything else I can do.

Attachments

• IMG_5197.JPG
    IMG_5197.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Helpful
Reactions: bonnie
Awesome, thank you.

For the 4 wires that go to the green block... Where are they coming from? My new cable only has 2 small wires. I'm wondering if I have a cable that is of a different version from my wall unit... Wishing I'd kept the busted cable to compare with...

I use the trunk button trick all the time, my issue was that the cracked charging port was preventing the latch from disengaging, so the cord was stuck in the car. I do not advise letting your car roll down a driveway and rip the cord out of the wall. No parts of the experience are enjoyable.

Awesome, thank you.

For the 4 wires that go to the green block... Where are they coming from? My new cable only has 2 small wires. I'm wondering if I have a cable that is of a different version from my wall unit... Wishing I'd kept the busted cable to compare with...

From what I see all four wires go into the cable. I’m not sure what they’re for. There’s another thread on here about a UMC teardown and that cord only has 2 extra wires. Is it possible that Tesla gave you a cord for the UMC instead of the wall connector cable? Also wouldn’t it be better to just replace the entire wall connector?

Attachments

• FDD47F4B-F936-40C9-968D-E853C0DC597F.jpeg
    FDD47F4B-F936-40C9-968D-E853C0DC597F.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 142
Yup ok, comparing the 2 different pictures posted helps. My wall unit is like navinsiri's unit, and my new cable is like scaesare's. Clearly a mismatch.

Why didn't I replace the whole thing? They kindly gave me the cable for free, before I knew the extent of the damage. It's an easy repair if I know where everything goes. Navinsiri, I might bug you in a few days for some other pictures if that's ok...

I'll see if I can get the cable swapped out for the right one... This combination does me no good...

Thanks to you both again,

Yup ok, comparing the 2 different pictures posted helps. My wall unit is like navinsiri's unit, and my new cable is like scaesare's. Clearly a mismatch.

Why didn't I replace the whole thing? They kindly gave me the cable for free, before I knew the extent of the damage. It's an easy repair if I know where everything goes. Navinsiri, I might bug you in a few days for some other pictures if that's ok...

I'll see if I can get the cable swapped out for the right one... This combination does me no good...

Thanks to you both again,

No problem. The wall connector is going to be sitting in a box for a few more months so I might as well put it to some good use!