Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone service tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live over 100 miles from my nearest service center and recently had my Model S in there to correct a problem with vibrations in the 70 mph range.

They diagnosed it as both a bent rim and worn tires.

After replacing all 4 tires, and replacing the wheel, they road tested it. billed me and off I went.

But I am still getting a vibration. May not be as bad but it's still there.

Can I take my car to ANY tire shop and have them do to the tires whatever tires shops do do. Do? :)

I have heard something about not being able to do this as some sensor needs resetting by Tesla after something gets adjusted.

Any help appreciated.

So. Having work done. They are taking wheels off ... instead of putting car on the machine im used to seeing.
Is this a problem?
Ive heard if you remove wheels, tesla have to reset som
ething. They claim this is the third tesla theyve done and news to them.

I've had tires replaced at an NTB when Tesla wasn't open over the weekend.

If the shop hasn't serviced a Tesla before, have their mechanic review the jack instructions using the onboard manual on the touchscreen - to make sure they properly lift the car and not damage the battery pack.

I was led to believe that Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - tpms- were approaching near universal deployment across all cars, tires. I think it is even in the new statutes requiring same. These tpms systems have matured but are so common and universal that I would be surprised if Tesla uses a different TPMS system than the rest of the world. I would think Discount Tire, Costco, etc tire shops would be able to handle this small item.

Now, in another thread, I heard that some tires have a foam insert to make the tires quieter. If this foam patch was pushed around a bit, I could see how you could end up with a high-speed vibration.

The caution of instructing tire shops where the jack points are is wise advise, perhaps to much micro managing, but worth being cautious.. Anyone with Smart Air should also know to set Jack Mode, but a reminder is never wasted.

Anyone with Smart Air should also know to set Jack Mode, but a reminder is never wasted.
Yes. I fear that one day I will forget this or tow mode.

Any 'good' tire place yes. There are differences in the capabilities of different tire places and in their equipment. Better places use a Hunter Roadforce or Smartweight for balancing, their folks are trained in how to use them, and they take the time to do it properly which does take extra time for stuff like repositioning the tire after the first spin, etc.

Last edited: