Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone with a new LR post their experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
We know the Plaid is quick. Like tap the brake so you don't get thrown off the dragstrip quick. I was hoping to hear from someone who received or at least tried out an LR to give their impression - I expect it to be quick, and for a guy like me, I doubt I could tell the difference between 0-6 in 2.3 (with rollout) or 3.2 (with rollout) which I THINK is the fair comparison between the Plaid and LR.
The Plaid did NOT have Plaid accents (I was surprised about that) and I know there was some Plaid stuff on the screens, but other than Insane vs. Plaid mode, and lack of the Plaid graphics, I don't know what the experience difference would be.
There's also speculation (and no idea how and end user could tell) if there are different rotor or carbon wrapping around the motors. I know there's 2 versus 3 in the LR, and even if it was the same motors (and I'm guessing they're different) they could have software that reduces the LR's performance - but again, I think there's be no way to know.
Anyway, if anyone has experienced and can comment, I think that would be great - I have Plaid envy, but my wallet likes LR a lot more. As for the 1 second or so time savings, I blew a lot more than that typing this!
Thanks!

Keep in mind the amazing times of the Plaid were under perfect circumstances. Here is an interesting, basically no-prep run, that puts it at 2.59 seconds. Still impressive and it has 3 people in the car which my slow it just a touch. While I love speed and have some ultra quick vehicles, the MS LR will be just fine if it can clock 3.1 under similar circumstances as the Plaid in this video.

I picked up the LR S a couple days ago. I’ll post more when I have a few minutes but wanted to at least say a couple words, since I came across this post. I had a 2018 S and all I can say is…this version S isn’t even in the same league and is just worlds apart better in every way. Concerning acceleration….we already have a Performance Y and I have to say I was shocked at how responsive/quick this car is from the line and how it continues on in its powerband even at higher (freeway) speeds. On both, the acceleration is just…impressive and smile inducing. Genuinely. Interior refresh looks and function are outstanding and so much more substantial:befitting a luxury car. Clean and wood grain is just excellent color and feel and center consoles set up in function is miles better than before (with the multiple function drawers and charging area, etc).
Center Screen is Mammoth and when you drive it feels like you can look at an entire County kn one shot, it so big on the horizontal. Yoke is cool and functional beyond words and turning and FSD functions are so convenient for your fingers while hands are already on the Yoke. Surprisingly so. The screen in front of the yoke is fully visible and expansive and just looks…amazing and is so useful now without having to look around the wheel. In a word….the car…AMAZING!

I picked up the LR S a couple days ago. I’ll post more when I have a few minutes but wanted to at least say a couple words, since I came across this post. I had a 2018 S and all I can say is…this version S isn’t even in the same league and is just worlds apart better in every way. Concerning acceleration….we already have a Performance Y and I have to say I was shocked at how responsive/quick this car is from the line and how it continues on in its powerband even at higher (freeway) speeds. On both, the acceleration is just…impressive and smile inducing. Genuinely. Interior refresh looks and function are outstanding and so much more substantial:befitting a luxury car. Clean and wood grain is just excellent color and feel and center consoles set up in function is miles better than before (with the multiple function drawers and charging area, etc).
Center Screen is Mammoth and when you drive it feels like you can look at an entire County kn one shot, it so big on the horizontal. Yoke is cool and functional beyond words and turning and FSD functions are so convenient for your fingers while hands are already on the Yoke. Surprisingly so. The screen in front of the yoke is fully visible and expansive and just looks…amazing and is so useful now without having to look around the wheel. In a word….the car…AMAZING!

Does it feel a lot faster than the Model Y performance?

Reactions: Draketurner
I truly regret reading this. September can't come quickly enough, grrrrrr! (On a plus note, enjoy your ride - sounds amazing, and while I can't help but feel like the guy outside the restaurant watching you eat a great meal, my time will come. Eventually. Or so I keep telling myself :)
Q - the center console - does it have dividers inside, or is it a big gaping hole like the 3 and Y have? Thanks!

It should feel faster. Based on the dragy times posted by another member and looking over the runs for I have the MYPs I drove, it is easily .5 seconds quicker, and better than any M3 Performance I tested. That was just one run of the MS LR posted at 85% compared to runs by the MYP and M3P fresh off a SuC at 99%. So it damn well better feel faster.

My MS LR can't show up soon enough at this point. I thought the MY would tide me over but it is looking like the MS LR might be the best overall car in the Tesla lineup.

I'd also really like to know if the Model S long range has uses the same carbon wrapped rotors. The 0-60 in 3.1s is excellent especially considering that the time quoted is not with rollout subtracted. More importantly if the LR can keep the high torque after 60mph it will be a huge improvement, likely faster than the prior Performance model.

Reactions: DelPhonic1

You'd be a hero around here if you could post some draggy times or something similar. That's awesome to hear about the pickup at higher speeds - does it feel like it holds torque like the Plaid does? I have a performance model 3 and like the Y the torque drop off after 60 mph is noticeable.

Definitely! My wife’s car is the Performance Y and she hasn’t yet driven our refreshed S. I was telling our kid this am that I honestly can’t wait to watch her when she does (because she thinks her car quite fast - which it is- but this is just….substantially quicker…and at higher speeds has SO much more pick up).

That…it’s higher speed performance/sustainably/acceleration is probably what actually impressed me the most, as our older S was unremarkable once you got to freeway speeds and then needed to accelerate more. You will NOT…Ever…and at ANY speed feel like you do not have the instantaneous juice to extract yourself from whatever road situation your in!

I also am crazy impressed by the incredibly tight suspension and handling this car has versus our older S and even like the 3 or Y. It is steady and solid in a way that is both different and better. ;-)

You'd be a hero around here if you could post some draggy times or something similar. That's awesome to hear about the pickup at higher speeds - does it feel like it holds torque like the Plaid does? I have a performance model 3 and like the Y the torque drop off after 60 mph is noticeable.
So, I don’t have any drag times (apologies) and I actually haven’t had opportunity to drive the Plaid (as my daughters grad was same day as the PLAID event -which….as u can imagine…KILLED me to not be able to go!! (Still flogging myself over that mentally) and so, temper my comments of course with that reality;

BUT I CAN definitely share my experience with this new, amazing ride and in that, I did have the 2018S and have LR3 and have a Performance Y and now this vehicle ans have driven the Performance S vehicles n the past…ans so with all THAT as set up…what I can say is:

at higher speeds the LR Refresh S… DEFINITELY…has something MORE going on in the torque and instant acceleration realms that just isn’t present on any of my/the other vehicles I’ve driven. Period.

The acceleration from gate is, of course, insane…but out of it all…I just was surprised/shocked at how much responsiveness existed at 60, 70 or 80 and the upward move from those speeds.

I suspect whatever they’ve done to the PLAID on battery and motors etc is aiding with how the LR S is similarly built.

Bottom line, while our Performance Y is quick, this is noticeably/smile on your face faster and at higher speeds you REALLY get a sense they’ve just fundamentally changed the S for the better as acceleration doesn’t diminish or feel fainter. The suspension also is (50’s word here) “dreamy”…but seriously…the suspension/handling is just sick!!

I truly regret reading this. September can't come quickly enough, grrrrrr! (On a plus note, enjoy your ride - sounds amazing, and while I can't help but feel like the guy outside the restaurant watching you eat a great meal, my time will come. Eventually. Or so I keep telling myself :)
Q - the center console - does it have dividers inside, or is it a big gaping hole like the 3 and Y have? Thanks!
Lol…YES…Your time will come…and sure you’ll appreciate all the more when it does! I DO get it though…you had me laughing as I read your post (know that outside the restaurant feeling - painful).

If it’s any consolation…my reservation was on the older S and they shut down production and so I got pushed and had to wait..well…it’s been a minute! But ..in truth, I was happy about it, as I knew the Refesh was comin’ and so I say the same to you that I said to myself at the time. Patience. It WILL be worth the wait. It was for me and confident it will be for you ..too!

On the center console…man..that is another one of those areas that they just got ..right!..
this time.

Yes…many internal compartments and of size / dimensions that ACTUALLY are functional and promote smart storage of stuff..lots of it ..BUT ..without it going to the black hole like in the older S and ALL of it individually tucks away or can be exposed based upon your want/need at the time. When you close them all…just…super clean yet under the hood functional.

It’s also so much more finished appearing and substantial and not cheap at all in how it looks feels/moves etc.

the design of the cup holders that push back away and out of sight (as with all the compartments) is “dope.”

Above this area, there is a section that (as you probably know) allows you to wirelessly charge two phones and we’ve done so and it works flawlessly.

What’s cool (if that isn’t enough) is that there’s an area around here that looks like it’s nothing initially but then, f you wanna back up or go forward or put the vehicle in park..press it and lights up and has icons / letters that you can simply push , as an alternate means to put the car into various directions or stop. It’s like a stealth mode button display.

So much has been well thought out and the interior is MILES better than the old version.

Feels more on the inside now like the car looks on the outside -perfection…

Hope that helps (or hurts?…more?…as it were?!).

:)

I'd also really like to know if the Model S long range has uses the same carbon wrapped rotors. The 0-60 in 3.1s is excellent especially considering that the time quoted is not with rollout subtracted. More importantly if the LR can keep the high torque after 60mph it will be a huge improvement, likely faster than the prior Performance model.
it does NOT have the carbon wrapped rotors. however it does have updated motors without the the carbon wrapped rotors the same pack as the plaid and heat pump, wheels etc. the carbon wrap rotors are exclusive to the plaid tri-motor setup