Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone with a new LR post their experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I don’t have any drag times (apologies) and I actually haven’t had opportunity to drive the Plaid (as my daughters grad was same day as the PLAID event -which….as u can imagine…KILLED me to not be able to go!! (Still flogging myself over that mentally) and so, temper my comments of course with that reality;

BUT I CAN definitely share my experience with this new, amazing ride and in that, I did have the 2018S and have LR3 and have a Performance Y and now this vehicle ans have driven the Performance S vehicles n the past…ans so with all THAT as set up…what I can say is:

at higher speeds the LR Refresh S… DEFINITELY…has something MORE going on in the torque and instant acceleration realms that just isn’t present on any of my/the other vehicles I’ve driven. Period.

The acceleration from gate is, of course, insane…but out of it all…I just was surprised/shocked at how much responsiveness existed at 60, 70 or 80 and the upward move from those speeds.

I suspect whatever they’ve done to the PLAID on battery and motors etc is aiding with how the LR S is similarly built.

Bottom line, while our Performance Y is quick, this is noticeably/smile on your face faster and at higher speeds you REALLY get a sense they’ve just fundamentally changed the S for the better as acceleration doesn’t diminish or feel fainter. The suspension also is (50’s word here) “dreamy”…but seriously…the suspension/handling is just sick!!
Thanks for the awesome writeup!

Lol…YES…Your time will come…and sure you’ll appreciate all the more when it does! I DO get it though…you had me laughing as I read your post (know that outside the restaurant feeling - painful).

If it’s any consolation…my reservation was on the older S and they shut down production and so I got pushed and had to wait..well…it’s been a minute! But ..in truth, I was happy about it, as I knew the Refesh was comin’ and so I say the same to you that I said to myself at the time. Patience. It WILL be worth the wait. It was for me and confident it will be for you ..too!

On the center console…man..that is another one of those areas that they just got ..right!..
this time.

Yes…many internal compartments and of size / dimensions that ACTUALLY are functional and promote smart storage of stuff..lots of it ..BUT ..without it going to the black hole like in the older S and ALL of it individually tucks away or can be exposed based upon your want/need at the time. When you close them all…just…super clean yet under the hood functional.

It’s also so much more finished appearing and substantial and not cheap at all in how it looks feels/moves etc.

the design of the cup holders that push back away and out of sight (as with all the compartments) is “dope.”

Above this area, there is a section that (as you probably know) allows you to wirelessly charge two phones and we’ve done so and it works flawlessly.

What’s cool (if that isn’t enough) is that there’s an area around here that looks like it’s nothing initially but then, f you wanna back up or go forward or put the vehicle in park..press it and lights up and has icons / letters that you can simply push , as an alternate means to put the car into various directions or stop. It’s like a stealth mode button display.

So much has been well thought out and the interior is MILES better than the old version.

Feels more on the inside now like the car looks on the outside -perfection…

Hope that helps (or hurts?…more?…as it were?!).

:)
I hate to say it, because I have complained about the steering wheel changes, and I really do not "believe" in replacing perfectly good cars just because there is something newer, and my 2015 Model S is just fine, thank you, but you are making me really WANT a new one! ;)

Lol…Well…you do You Bro! …I DID -love- Free Supercharging that came with our old S….BUT….I’d say it’s definitely worth your driving, to me, in order to decide…or..just put a deposit down and you can always back out later after you drive it, if you’re not in love (but…you WILL be!).

in contrasting the two (my 2018 and this) they’re just…markedly different vehicles and I’ve absolutely Zero regret in having done.

Few things in life offer unbridled genuine joy and for me, the new S definitely delivers on that.

Right on Tesla’s Website Model S page. Carbon wrap is only listed in the plaid section. Makes total sense, doing the carbon wrap is not easy and it is mainly to allow 200mph with a dual ratio transmission. LR is limited to 155

Sorry I'm a bit more skeptical, omission does not equal facts... Some history for context:
1. Tesla shipped the Model 3 dual motor with the same exact motors as the Model 3 Performance, but software limited.
2. Tesla lists performance 0-60 with rollout subtracted but lists other 0-60 stats without rollout subtracted, making the performance versions look faster than they are.
3. Often times Tesla leverages the same parts across models wherever possible to reduce complexity and increase economies of scale.

It's entirely possible that the Model S LR uses the exact same motors as the plaid, but 2 instead of 3.

Sorry I'm a bit more skeptical, omission does not equal facts... Some history for context:
1. Tesla shipped the Model 3 dual motor with the same exact motors as the Model 3 Performance, but software limited.
2. Tesla lists performance 0-60 with rollout subtracted but lists other 0-60 stats without rollout subtracted, making the performance versions look faster than they are.
3. Often times Tesla leverages the same parts across models wherever possible to reduce complexity and increase economies of scale.

It's entirely possible that the Model S LR uses the exact same motors as the plaid, but 2 instead of 3.
I’m sure we will find out eventually. The Model 3 has the same motors but the performance model get the pick of the litter: Elon from 2018 “Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.”
My point is wondering why they would add material and labor costs to carbon wrap the rotors when the service cycle does not require it in the given application? The LR will be the volume seller, that’s a lot of cost you would want to avoid. Much more likely that the Plaid’s motors start off on the same line as the LR’s and then gets shunted to a separate line for the performance upgrades such as the carbon wrap and better tolerance testing. Time will tell.

I picked up the LR S a couple days ago. I’ll post more when I have a few minutes but wanted to at least say a couple words, since I came across this post. I had a 2018 S and all I can say is…this version S isn’t even in the same league and is just worlds apart better in every way. Concerning acceleration….we already have a Performance Y and I have to say I was shocked at how responsive/quick this car is from the line and how it continues on in its powerband even at higher (freeway) speeds. On both, the acceleration is just…impressive and smile inducing. Genuinely. Interior refresh looks and function are outstanding and so much more substantial:befitting a luxury car. Clean and wood grain is just excellent color and feel and center consoles set up in function is miles better than before (with the multiple function drawers and charging area, etc).
Center Screen is Mammoth and when you drive it feels like you can look at an entire County kn one shot, it so big on the horizontal. Yoke is cool and functional beyond words and turning and FSD functions are so convenient for your fingers while hands are already on the Yoke. Surprisingly so. The screen in front of the yoke is fully visible and expansive and just looks…amazing and is so useful now without having to look around the wheel. In a word….the car…AMAZING!
When had you ordered your MS (LR)? I had placed my order on March 10th and still do not have a VIN.

I picked up the LR S a couple days ago. I’ll post more when I have a few minutes but wanted to at least say a couple words, since I came across this post. I had a 2018 S and all I can say is…this version S isn’t even in the same league and is just worlds apart better in every way. Concerning acceleration….we already have a Performance Y and I have to say I was shocked at how responsive/quick this car is from the line and how it continues on in its powerband even at higher (freeway) speeds. On both, the acceleration is just…impressive and smile inducing. Genuinely. Interior refresh looks and function are outstanding and so much more substantial:befitting a luxury car. Clean and wood grain is just excellent color and feel and center consoles set up in function is miles better than before (with the multiple function drawers and charging area, etc).
Center Screen is Mammoth and when you drive it feels like you can look at an entire County kn one shot, it so big on the horizontal. Yoke is cool and functional beyond words and turning and FSD functions are so convenient for your fingers while hands are already on the Yoke. Surprisingly so. The screen in front of the yoke is fully visible and expansive and just looks…amazing and is so useful now without having to look around the wheel. In a word….the car…AMAZING!

Definitely! My wife’s car is the Performance Y and she hasn’t yet driven our refreshed S. I was telling our kid this am that I honestly can’t wait to watch her when she does (because she thinks her car quite fast - which it is- but this is just….substantially quicker…and at higher speeds has SO much more pick up).

That…it’s higher speed performance/sustainably/acceleration is probably what actually impressed me the most, as our older S was unremarkable once you got to freeway speeds and then needed to accelerate more. You will NOT…Ever…and at ANY speed feel like you do not have the instantaneous juice to extract yourself from whatever road situation your in!

I also am crazy impressed by the incredibly tight suspension and handling this car has versus our older S and even like the 3 or Y. It is steady and solid in a way that is both different and better. ;-)

So, I don’t have any drag times (apologies) and I actually haven’t had opportunity to drive the Plaid (as my daughters grad was same day as the PLAID event -which….as u can imagine…KILLED me to not be able to go!! (Still flogging myself over that mentally) and so, temper my comments of course with that reality;

BUT I CAN definitely share my experience with this new, amazing ride and in that, I did have the 2018S and have LR3 and have a Performance Y and now this vehicle ans have driven the Performance S vehicles n the past…ans so with all THAT as set up…what I can say is:

at higher speeds the LR Refresh S… DEFINITELY…has something MORE going on in the torque and instant acceleration realms that just isn’t present on any of my/the other vehicles I’ve driven. Period.

The acceleration from gate is, of course, insane…but out of it all…I just was surprised/shocked at how much responsiveness existed at 60, 70 or 80 and the upward move from those speeds.

I suspect whatever they’ve done to the PLAID on battery and motors etc is aiding with how the LR S is similarly built.

Bottom line, while our Performance Y is quick, this is noticeably/smile on your face faster and at higher speeds you REALLY get a sense they’ve just fundamentally changed the S for the better as acceleration doesn’t diminish or feel fainter. The suspension also is (50’s word here) “dreamy”…but seriously…the suspension/handling is just sick!!

Lol…YES…Your time will come…and sure you’ll appreciate all the more when it does! I DO get it though…you had me laughing as I read your post (know that outside the restaurant feeling - painful).

If it’s any consolation…my reservation was on the older S and they shut down production and so I got pushed and had to wait..well…it’s been a minute! But ..in truth, I was happy about it, as I knew the Refesh was comin’ and so I say the same to you that I said to myself at the time. Patience. It WILL be worth the wait. It was for me and confident it will be for you ..too!

On the center console…man..that is another one of those areas that they just got ..right!..
this time.

Yes…many internal compartments and of size / dimensions that ACTUALLY are functional and promote smart storage of stuff..lots of it ..BUT ..without it going to the black hole like in the older S and ALL of it individually tucks away or can be exposed based upon your want/need at the time. When you close them all…just…super clean yet under the hood functional.

It’s also so much more finished appearing and substantial and not cheap at all in how it looks feels/moves etc.

the design of the cup holders that push back away and out of sight (as with all the compartments) is “dope.”

Above this area, there is a section that (as you probably know) allows you to wirelessly charge two phones and we’ve done so and it works flawlessly.

What’s cool (if that isn’t enough) is that there’s an area around here that looks like it’s nothing initially but then, f you wanna back up or go forward or put the vehicle in park..press it and lights up and has icons / letters that you can simply push , as an alternate means to put the car into various directions or stop. It’s like a stealth mode button display.

So much has been well thought out and the interior is MILES better than the old version.

Feels more on the inside now like the car looks on the outside -perfection…

Hope that helps (or hurts?…more?…as it were?!).

:)

I have written other pseudo reviews in other threads but echo above. More than my expectations. First EV and first Tesla. The purchase process sucked something fierce for me but now that I have had it for a few days and over 800 miles. I would do most of all over again.

It just keeps pulling at highway speeds. Fit and finish are exception. It is quite.

Would not give up the yoke. I am dumbfounded at the drama some have (especially those who have never touched it). The more I put myself in precarious places, the more I get used to it. The turn signals still annoy me but that is okay.

My largest complaint is that they shipped the car "incomplete". I do not care to hear "It is a Tesla thing" that they send them out with listed features - just poor business, Nonetheless, I am still glad they shipped my vehicle. Now finish it.

When had you ordered your MS (LR)? I had placed my order on March 10th and still do not have a VIN.
I originally placed my order when they reduced the price of the LR S to 69K (I wanna say that was around Oct’ish…2020? I’d have to go back and look). By the time we were ending the year, while we were supposed to take delivery in the end of Dec, rumors of a refresh were running a little and I suspected as such. When I had opportunity to defer my delivery and let someone else have our vehicle before end of year, I did so and allowed them to push mine back into the first quarter. That resulted in the refresh being made known and the corresponding delay.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I originally placed my order when they reduced the price of the LR S to 69K (I wanna say that was around Oct’ish…2020? I’d have to go back and look). By the time we were ending the year, while we were supposed to take delivery in the end of Dec, rumors of a refresh were running a little and I suspected as such. When I had opportunity to defer my delivery and let someone else have our vehicle before end of year, I did so and allowed them to push mine back into the first quarter. That resulted in the refresh being made known and the correspo
Thank you. That gives me hope that my MS (LR) ordered on March 10 may arrive in August. Finger crossed.

This was posted in the Ordering subforum (wrong place imo) but is a brief comparison of the LR vs an M3P. The S appears to have stronger pull on both the low end and top end.

@FunSecured you mention the suspension is 'dreamy'. How is the ride comfort compared to your previous 2018? I have a 2017 90D and, while I love the vehicle, the ride can get rough at times on bumpier roads.
So, in our 2018, there were issues with the suspension, particularly noticeable at slow speeds (for example) we’d hear creaks and clicks when you’d go over uneven surfaces or speed bumps or make turns. It was super annoying and sounded junky. When one would accelerate from a dead stop or from a dead stop and turn sometimes, the suspension would have this weird shaking that would sometimes happen and you’d feel like your car suspension might break. The suspension just wasn’t that tight and was noisy at times and I’d say…loose. In the new S…ALL of this (mess) doesn’t exist, at all! The suspension feels so so solid and tight and sorta like you’re one with the car. Turns are a joy and you feel safe and solid at really high speeds. Whether from the line, once ur really moving and on turns, ALL in like fashion it just feels perfection. The very best description I can afford (for contrast between the two) is to say the new S suspension is “solid” across the board.

I really just want to know the comparison between the new model S LR and the previous Model S Performance with Ludicrous. I have a 2019 duel motor Model S Performance with Ludi and I never put it in Ludicrous Plus mode, but I do keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time and love the no-prep fire it has off the line. I just wonder what the difference will be with the new LR. Does anyone have dragy times with the model I have?

Here's a recent video of the refreshed Model S LR focusing on interior amenities and the user interface. It'll help wet your appetite for what's to come when you get your hands on one.

Jeff - Thank you for the nice video and narration. I was vicariously driving my Red LR which will hopefully arrive next month! The LR seems so much more refined than my old 2015 S85 with AP1 & MCU1. Your screen looked so sharp and moved so quickly.
What do you think about the cabin noise level? Have they activated the noise cancellation system? How is the 20+ speaker system?
Can you play games or watch Netflix on the back console? Did your car come with a Yoke shaped game controller?
Have you played with the outside noise alert system which I understand is mandatory? At what speed does it turn off?
How is the acceleration on this car. My wife of 41 years did not care for the fast acceleration on our old S 85 but I just loved it!

Once again thanks for sharing first hand information on LR and please post more videos information on your super LR car.

Hi All,
We know the Plaid is quick. Like tap the brake so you don't get thrown off the dragstrip quick. I was hoping to hear from someone who received or at least tried out an LR to give their impression - I expect it to be quick, and for a guy like me, I doubt I could tell the difference between 0-6 in 2.3 (with rollout) or 3.2 (with rollout) which I THINK is the fair comparison between the Plaid and LR.
The Plaid did NOT have Plaid accents (I was surprised about that) and I know there was some Plaid stuff on the screens, but other than Insane vs. Plaid mode, and lack of the Plaid graphics, I don't know what the experience difference would be.
There's also speculation (and no idea how and end user could tell) if there are different rotor or carbon wrapping around the motors. I know there's 2 versus 3 in the LR, and even if it was the same motors (and I'm guessing they're different) they could have software that reduces the LR's performance - but again, I think there's be no way to know.
Anyway, if anyone has experienced and can comment, I think that would be great - I have Plaid envy, but my wallet likes LR a lot more. As for the 1 second or so time savings, I blew a lot more than that typing this!
Thanks!
I really have no basis for comparison but this car is freaking fast. Faster than I could ever want or need. I would never spend 50k more on the plaid unless I just had gobs of money or had any desire to go to the drag strip.

Here's a recent video of the refreshed Model S LR focusing on interior amenities and the user interface. It'll help wet your appetite for what's to come when you get your hands on one.

He is having the same issue with the rear temp control. It is not truly tri-zone temp control as advertised. Hopefully it is a software update to fix.

Jeff - Thank you for the nice video and narration. I was vicariously driving my Red LR which will hopefully arrive next month! The LR seems so much more refined than my old 2015 S85 with AP1 & MCU1. Your screen looked so sharp and moved so quickly.
What do you think about the cabin noise level? Have they activated the noise cancellation system? How is the 20+ speaker system?
Can you play games or watch Netflix on the back console? Did your car come with a Yoke shaped game controller?
Have you played with the outside noise alert system which I understand is mandatory? At what speed does it turn off?
How is the acceleration on this car. My wife of 41 years did not care for the fast acceleration on our old S 85 but I just loved it!

Once again thanks for sharing first hand information on LR and please post more videos information on your super LR car.
Oops ... I'm sorry if it appeared I created this video. I came across it while surfing Tesla videos on YouTube and wanted to share it with the TMC community since it was relevant to this thread. It was posted by Erik Robertson who was taking a cruise in his new Model S LR. I can't take any credit for the video or its content. Great video though and I hope to post my own Model S experience shortly after I take delivery. You might want to check out and subscribe to Erik's YouTube channel for additional information.

Thanks for sharing!

I noticed the same guy posted an acceleration video vs a 2018 Model 3 P.

Running it with youtube stats enabled I timed the 0-60 at ~3.26 seconds for this particular run, within the margin of error considering we don't know the battery SOC

A few more interesting tidbids:
1. 0-100 timed to about 7.6s, that's about 1.2s slower than an older P100D (6.4s 0-100 according to my research Tesla Model S P100D specs, 0-60, quarter mile, lap times - FastestLaps.com)
2. Model S LR comes with Drag Strip/max performance mode!
3. The owner says he is planning on taking it to the drag strip next weekend. So hopefully we'll get some more performance data soon!