Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Autonomous drive itself to supercharger, then come home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like you would be adding more wear and tear than you wouls be saving in electicity costs.

I guess if a supercharger is 10 miles away or so it could work.

No advancements in the full seld deiving laws that im aware of yet though. Could be years away.

With Tesla's Autopilot, and the new option of "Full Self-Driving Capability", and free supercharging - can I have my tesla sneak over to the supercharger to have a suckle while I sleep?
Of course, if Tesla is serious about discouraging local Supercharging, it may politely decline your request to send your car autonomously to the nearest Supercharging station for a recharge when you are on record as having home charging capability: "I'm sorry, goofballer; I afraid I can't do that."

With Tesla's Autopilot, and the new option of "Full Self-Driving Capability", and free supercharging - can I have my tesla sneak over to the supercharger to have a suckle while I sleep?

This is one of the reasons Tesla is terminating free supercharging.

There's only a tiny population (pretty much just cars ordered this quarter) that are both potentially self driving in the future and grandfathered in to unlimited supercharger access.

Reactions: Jaff and Ludus
Seems like you would be adding more wear and tear than you wouls be saving in electicity costs.

I guess if a supercharger is 10 miles away or so it could work.

No advancements in the full seld deiving laws that im aware of yet though. Could be years away.

So true.

Honey, good things by we got the Tesla now. It just drove 40 miles each way to fill itself up free!

As soon as it's back, I'm taking it to buy new tires.

...can I have my tesla sneak over to the supercharger to have a suckle while I sleep?

I agree with @JeffK that there is no technical reason that your driverless Tesla cannot do that for you.

There might be other reasons to deny your wish as suggested by others above:

1) Automatic Supercharger Hookup and Disconnection: It's unclear how many will get that feature and when.
2) Economy: Wear and tear for your car, it costs more for Tesla, and you if you didn't make the free grandfathered clause...

Why do all of you assume that he's sleeping at home and not at a hotel en route to his final destination? Or his home has a charging station and not streetside parking in the city?

Because auto-hookup and auto-disconnect will be implemented with Superchargers first.

It will be a very long time after that for hotels to equip that feature for their destination chargers.

Even with a Supercharger station, we will have to see how many bays that Tesla will install that feature for next year trip from LAX to NYC.

But you are right. For those who don't have home charging, such as street parking only owners, driverless automatic Supercharging would be great!

I think some variation on this is a critical feature for Tesla. Pay as you go Superchargers and charging snakes enable a lot of potential owners who don't have private garages. This is a major issue in China but it's important in NYC or any major city. These features mean a parking garage can install a Tesla snake Supercharger in some out of the way place and individual Tesla's can go suckle at it whenever they need charge...subject to some local queueing management code. All night Tesla's would swap themselves between their assigned parking and the charger and in the morning they'd all be ready to go out and pick up their owners with a full charge.

Reactions: Jaff and Tam