Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can autopilot in model S merge you onto a highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would add that I think one of the worst short-comings of the auto-pilot features is that it can and does make lane changes somewhat too aggressively for my taste. The side and rear sensors have very limited range, so a car in the next lane that is just out of range but traveling fast will not be detected, and the Tesla will attempt to move over and can cut them off. That could be hazardous! And that is exactly what you would be doing in an on-ramp merge. So I agree with others -- do it yourself.
The autopilot does not, and can not, change lanes on its own, it only does so in response to the driver telling it to do so. If you don't think the spot it changed in to was appropriate then it's 100% your fault for picking it.

Exactly. I do all the head turns and checks to see if a lane change can be done safely, and then tell AP to do it.

My problem is, it is not aggressive enough. Why? because I have done all the checks needed to do the lane change, and i want AP to simply change the lane immediately when I ask it to do so. Instead it hesitates for several seconds at times before attempting to change (sometimes just 2 seconds, sometimes as long as 10 seconds), and by that time the window of opportunity to change may have diminished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: David29
I have found one situation where using an on ramp on a freeway using auto pilot does work. Given the following criteria:

1. No one either in front or back of you on the on ramp to an Interstate Freeway.
2. No traffic in the slow lane of the Interstate Freeway where you will be merging into.

Given the above, if you engage auto pilot as you start the on ramp, the system will think it is a very wide lane. As you continue, the lane gets less and less wide. The autopilot merely sees the on ramp as a typical lane. It continues until the on ramp merely turns into a new lane of the freeway and continues on as normal using the auto pilot. You then use your turn signal to move into the next lane on the left. I have personally used it this way and it works fine. But I would not use it if I saw traffic in the slow lane. So, it is purely a conditional use suggestion.

Cheers