Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Bioweapon Defense Mode eliminate "new car smell"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlikely since new car smell is the out gassing of materials and adhesives inside the car. You'd have to run recirculated mode for a long long time to make it a factor and that assumes that recirculated mode runs interior air through the bio weapon defense filters.

Unlikely since new car smell is the out gassing of materials and adhesives inside the car. You'd have to run recirculated mode for a long long time to make it a factor and that assumes that recirculated mode runs interior air through the bio weapon defense filters.

Actually, these guys seem to think it's amazingly effective at clearing out the interior of the car. I didn't realize what "hotbox" meant in modern slang until I saw the video. Presumably it would have a similar effect on new car smell - though that is still a long term thing as the materials settle in, of course.

I don't remember getting the new car smell at all in either Model S or X. Remember the "new car smell" is actually fumes from the rubber and synthetic materials used for the cabin. I remember distinctly one of my family member's comment about not having the new car smell when we picked up the S.

I understand that the new car smell is the offgassing from the various materials that go into making the car. It's something that is actively a problem for me and my family. Although I also learned about 15 years back, that you can buy "new car smell" in a can! Isn't that awesome - spritz up your car with some canned poison :)

My experience with loaner Model S's when our Roadster is in for service, is that the new car smell is strong enough, even when the loaner is up to a few thousand miles, that we are unable to park the car in our garage (the new car chemicals get into the garage, and from there into the house).

The various theories and guesses about how it will work all agree with my theory of things. Anybody with actual experience that can inform our theories?

Note - I've got a test drive of Model X setup for this weekend. I'm planning to try out a test as part of the test drive - see if running intense filtration for a few minutes before I get in takes away my own ability to detect new car smell.

Why would you want to get rid of the new car smell. I love it to my bone!

Because it comes from chemicals that are poison to my wife and I, and will make the car unusable for her. Also chemicals that are strong enough that the car won't be able to be parked in the garage. I'm glad you love the new car smell - it's a strong reason not to buy for me. Sadly, it's also still strong enough in most used cars, that finding any car is difficult (the Roadster has been a miracle for us on this front).

That new car smell also causes your windows to fog up from the inside. The smell leaves a residue build up on the interior glass causing moisture particals to collect into droplets.

HEPA filter does clean internal air as demonstrated by Tesla

I didn't get the standard new car smell, but I do have the new leather smell. I have a very keen olfactory sense and I don't smell anything obtrusive from the outside anymore, even without bio-defense on. This might be because the auto climate is more inclined to recycle internal air more than it vents from the outside. It could also be because of the carbon filters. I'll have to play with manually venting from the outside more to come to a final conclusion. In my old car, I used to easily smell smokers a few cars ahead of me. Now, I don't smell any of the outside environment.

Reactions: xkwizit
I didn't get the standard new car smell, but I do have the new leather smell. I have a very keen olfactory sense and I don't smell anything obtrusive from the outside anymore, even without bio-defense on. This might be because the auto climate is more inclined to recycle internal air more than it vents from the outside. It could also be because of the carbon filters. I'll have to play with manually venting from the outside more to come to a final conclusion. In my old car, I used to easily smell smokers a few cars ahead of me. Now, I don't smell any of the outside environment.

Thanks Dazureus - this is helpful. My interest is primarily the smells from the inside of the car (the new car smell), though the outside air is also an issue. I've started noticing smokers from the up the line of cars, and have even been in situations where I changed lanes or routes to get away from somebody with a smoking car or cigarette.

Since driving the X, I no longer detect smokers in cars around me nor diesel exhaust. I did get a slight whiff of skunk roadkill once, but far less intense than usual.

It's the interior new car smell I am primarily concerned with, though the reduction in the external odors is also helpful.

Think of it this way - if even getting into the car felt like you were sitting down behind a diesel burner that never left, would you even get into the car in the first place? And would you even notice the diesel burner or smoker in the car ahead?

That's what the new car smell is like for us, and I'm hoping the air filtration will help (eliminate) that. Even if it means I'm running it for a few minutes before we go somewhere.

It's the interior new car smell I am primarily concerned with, though the reduction in the external odors is also helpful.

Think of it this way - if even getting into the car felt like you were sitting down behind a diesel burner that never left, would you even get into the car in the first place? And would you even notice the diesel burner or smoker in the car ahead?

That's what the new car smell is like for us, and I'm hoping the air filtration will help (eliminate) that. Even if it means I'm running it for a few minutes before we go somewhere.

If it's that much of a problem for you, maybe you should just leave the car on for the first few months. Assuming you have a place to plug in and more than 120V available, it shouldn't create problems.

The car will probably eat 400-1000 W of power staying on and running the HVAC, but this will accelerate the outgassing and mean that the interior is always clean for you when you're ready to go.

At national average $.11/kWh, it'd be an extra $1.06-$2.64 per day while you left it on.

Unlike an ICE, there shouldn't be any ill effect from leaving it on beyond the power consumption.

(Chances are preconditioning for a few minutes first will be good enough, but I figured you hadn't considered the extreme option and wanted to put it on the table.)

I thought it protects against things from the outside.
No defense from the he who smelt it, dealt it issue.
Yes - actually there is;

81xu-P-T9HL._SY355_.jpg

with my better half's allergies, we swear by this stuff. Safe, too
no, we're not sales rep's
:D