Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Bioweapon Defense Mode eliminate "new car smell"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^This^. I hope part of Reveal #2 is a new car chemical smell generator. I'd pay extra for that!

Good news - you can buy new car smell in a can. I know you can because a used car dealer we bought from about 15 years ago spritzed up our newly purchased car in between signing the paperwork and handing over the keys.

Heck, here's an example of that for you:
Amazon.com: Chemical Guys AIR_101_16 New Car Smell Premium Air Freshener and Odor Eliminator (16 oz): Automotive

For completeness of the thread, I test drove Model X this afternoon and we conducted a test of the theory. The Owner Advisor got the Bioweapon Defense Mode going and had it running for at least 3 minutes, and probably closer to 5, before I got into the car. I did still smell the new car smell, but it was muted compared to other Model S loaners and cars I've been around in the past. That new car smell carried on throughout the test drive.

I also sat in a cloth interior Model S while I was there - that was a dramatically stronger new car smell. It was also different (I suspect different chemicals are involved in making a cloth surface usable for a car seat vs. leather). The cloth interior was strong enough that I know we'll get leather.

(Other test drive observations - autopilot is freaky cool, and completely reasonable - totally getting that. And Ludicrous is really fast -- drive the Roadster to LOOK fast, drive the SUV to BE fast)

I understand that the new car smell is the offgassing from the various materials that go into making the car. It's something that is actively a problem for me and my family. Although I also learned about 15 years back, that you can buy "new car smell" in a can! Isn't that awesome - spritz up your car with some canned poison :)

My experience with loaner Model S's when our Roadster is in for service, is that the new car smell is strong enough, even when the loaner is up to a few thousand miles, that we are unable to park the car in our garage (the new car chemicals get into the garage, and from there into the house).

The various theories and guesses about how it will work all agree with my theory of things. Anybody with actual experience that can inform our theories?

Note - I've got a test drive of Model X setup for this weekend. I'm planning to try out a test as part of the test drive - see if running intense filtration for a few minutes before I get in takes away my own ability to detect new car smell.
Are they really that bad? I've never seen anyone worrying about this kind of stuff.

That new car smell also causes your windows to fog up from the inside. The smell leaves a residue build up on the interior glass causing moisture particals to collect into droplets.

HEPA filter does clean internal air as demonstrated by Tesla

In addition to the increased fogging, the residue causes really bad glare from car headlights, street lamps, the sun, and any other intense light source. The less off-gassing from the interior plastics, the better, as the stuff is also annoyingly resistant to Windex and other household cleaners.

After much R&D, I determined that a 50/50 mixture of food-grade White Vinegar and Water was the most effective way at clearing the residue. I spray some of the mixture onto a clean towel, wipe the affected window surface, and then polish off with a different towel. After 2 passes, the window is usually clear from the inside. Missed spots become pretty obvious during nighttime driving.

In addition to the increased fogging, the residue causes really bad glare from car headlights, street lamps, the sun, and any other intense light source. The less off-gassing from the interior plastics, the better, as the stuff is also annoyingly resistant to Windex and other household cleaners.

After much R&D, I determined that a 50/50 mixture of food-grade White Vinegar and Water was the most effective way at clearing the residue. I spray some of the mixture onto a clean towel, wipe the affected window surface, and then polish off with a different towel. After 2 passes, the window is usually clear from the inside. Missed spots become pretty obvious during nighttime driving.
Try newspaper, will turbo charge your results.

"Some of these chemicals -- found on the steering wheel, dashboard, armrests and seats -- have been linked to numerous health problems including allergies, impaired learning and liver toxicity.Vehicle interiors contain a unique cocktail of hundreds of toxic chemicals that off-gas in small, confined spaces," said Jeff Gearhart, research director at the Ecology Center, in announcing the findings."

Most and least toxic cars? Tests rank 200 models

Drove into a gas station so wife could buy a powerball ticket. I waited in the car. Tanker truck was refilling the station's underground tanks (apparently with a poor connection). Gasoline smell that came in while wife opened her door was overpowering.

Turned on Bioweapon Defense Mode for one minute.

Odor gone.

Drove into a gas station so wife could buy a powerball ticket. I waited in the car. Tanker truck was refilling the station's underground tanks (apparently with a poor connection). Gasoline smell that came in while wife opened her door was overpowering.

Turned on Bioweapon Defense Mode for one minute.

Odor gone.
Not a poor connection. The tanker truck is filling a large underground tank that was mostly vapor, the vapor was being displaced out the breather vent. Probably around 20,000 volumetric liters.

Times that by the number of gas stations around the world and the frequency of supply refills. Add to the "electric cars just move the emissions" debate