Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can body shop release car with a non functional seat belt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is in the shop for 3 months. They failed to identify that a passenger seat had to be replaced at the beginning of the repair, since the seat belt was in tension from a front collision. When they ordered the seat after 3 months, they ordered the wrong side. Tesla itself takes about 6-8 weeks to produce a seat. So that further delayed the matters. Now i am wondering since the rest of the car is functional, can i do anything to get the car back while we wait for the damn seat? What are my options? Bodyshop is worried about liability but i am offering that i will not put anyone on that seat or put a tape around it preventing anyone from sitting. But they are not willing to accept it. Any insights?

They say they are liable in case they are releasing a car which has a non functional seat belt. Anything happens they can be sued.

You can't just not give someone back their property because you're afraid someone will sue you. The only reason they can hold it is if it's under a mechanic's lein because the bill is not paid.

Call the cops. This is theft. It's the same old scam as "you can't leave because your brakes are shot"

Advice from a lawyer:
http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-i-cant-let-you-leave-brake-scam-1714376967

His suggestion? Have them write "PASSENGER SEAT NOT TO BE USED. NO SEATBELT." on the invoice. Now nobody can argue you didn't know.