Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can cabin overheat protection/sentry mode leave you stranded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not arguing the answer you already got.

I just wanted to say that one time when I deliberately drove down to single digits miles remaining the car began strongly suggesting it point towards the nearest known charger which happened to be at my home.

That is not to suggest the navigation system which would route you to charging is active and communicating with climate control and BMS while you are away from the vehicle.

If parking the car 100miles from known charging I would try and make sure overtemp protect be is off.

use common sense ... you know you have 100 miles to nearest supercharger and how much juice you need. the car doesn't know that you are not charging nearby (say a garage with an outlet) and instead need to drive 100 miles.
And here, ladies and gentlemen, is (what I personally believe) the main limiting factor to adoption of EVs. They still require a fair bit of thinking, whereas most drivers are completely disinterested & oblivious in how they get from point A to point B.

Reactions: camalaio
And here, ladies and gentlemen, is (what I personally believe) the main limiting factor to adoption of EVs. They still require a fair bit of thinking, whereas most drivers are completely disinterested & oblivious in how they get from point A to point B.
I agree. Members of this forum seem to enjoy working with the mechanics of operating an EV. The average car owner who wants to know nothing about how their car works and is likely to drive away from a gas pump with the nozzle still attached to the car will be unable to manage adequately the complexity of getting good function from an EV, and they won’t want to. Making EVs idiot proof is a step that needs to be taken.

does an ICE car turn off an idling engine when you are out in the wilderness because the system realizes that the closest gas station is 100 miles away and if you keep idling the engine to run the AC you won't make it there? just curious...

does an ICE car turn off an idling engine when you are out in the wilderness because the system realizes that the closest gas station is 100 miles away and if you keep idling the engine to run the AC you won't make it there? just curious...

Of course it doesn't, but its thick. Cool if the M3 could tell you. All the data is there then its just driver choice

On this specific topic, the owner of the vehicle would have had to purposely set sentry mode, or cabin overheat protection, and both pop up with warning boxes I believe. If the owner doesnt read the message on the screen, thats 1000% on them. Most things in the car dont require any more "thinking" than being able to read a dialog box, or, you know, read the manual the car comes with.

i agree though, that most people seem to be too lazy to do the later, even if the technology is new. If a person leaves their auxillery lights on, an ICE car will generally happily run down the battery, but no one cares about that. Somehow, people expect THIS car to do every single thing for them without having to think at all, when that is not possible with any other vehicle.

I agree. Members of this forum seem to enjoy working with the mechanics of operating an EV. The average car owner who wants to know nothing about how their car works and is likely to drive away from a gas pump with the nozzle still attached to the car will be unable to manage adequately the complexity of getting good function from an EV, and they won’t want to. Making EVs idiot proof is a step that needs to be taken.
Just to spit ball what it would take to "idiot proof" a car in the OP's scenario, just to look at what is needed for it to work :D

The car would have to know the precise location of ALL charging options (not just superchargers) and the state of each charger, the driving conditions and everything else that impacts range
Then it would have to disallow the aforementioned idiot from starting his journey if he didn't have enough range.
It would also have to have option check gates for every option that uses power to make sure that the idiot driver doesn't engage something that would get them stranded.
It would also need to disallow driving if the Nav isn't in use, because it would have to know the drivers intentions as to where they want to go next.
it probably should start to restrict too much acceleration if you started to get into the range danger zone.

The next problem is how to know you are leaving the car in a state that may leave you stranded
Problem after that is knowing how long you intend to leave the car before getting back in and driving away, especially if that will leave you stranded - or not.

Or the current option, where you decide to disable overheat protection because you know you're a long way from the nearest charger :)

[edit]
Just realized there is another option.
Remove all the features that the lowest common denominator owner won't understand.

I think there’s a car or two on the market today that will shut off if idle for 20 minutes after exit if the driver forgets to shut the car off but otherwise no. The difference is that gas stations are plentiful, refueling (even from empty) takes less than 5 minutes, and if the closest one does exceed your range, you can call a friend/family member/AAA to come bring you a few gallons of gas to get you where you need to go. If you run out of battery in an EV and the nearest charger is 100 miles away, enjoy your hefty tow truck fine.

This will continue to be one of the primary reasons EVs are slow to adopt because it requires too much planning and can worry others to the point that the cool benefits don’t outweigh the convenience of an ICE car, environmentally friendly or not.

It is not hard if you have a C-class RV and run the generator (both source from the same tank), it will only stop when the "light" comes on, which is around 25 miles left on mine at best. So you can be easily stranded if you do not carry extra jerry cans and you are parked out in BLM land, 50 miles from a gas station.