TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can California’s Electrical Grid Handle More Superchargers?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by AMPd, May 10, 2018.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Summer just got a little hotter: State could have you using your AC less

According to CAISO, this summer California might be in danger of not being able to meet the demand for electricity during peak times of the day due to a shortfall in hydro generation.

With more and more superchargers coming online, will there be enough supply to meet demand?

I wonder if one day we’ll have people stuck at certain superchargers because that area is experiencing a black out.

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Then there is this thread:
    California ISO approaching zero imports

Years ago I read that each inch of water in the Sierras was worth $10m to SMUD and $35M to PG&E for hydro production. So in low water content years that has to be made up with NG.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Folks who charge at home are often aware of the peak cost times and charge accordingly. It is the Superchargers that seem to charge indiscriminately. I know that companies have been called by the power company and asked to reduce load, so it may be possible to see Tesla curtail the charging if things get bad.
    But overall, I don't think that Superchargers are that much on the radar for the power company when it comes to load. While they look at charging with a load shedding mindset, I'm not sure if it will be impacting.

But that's another thing that Superchargers can think about, 3-7 in the afternoon is the worse time for the grid.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Remember in a blackout gas stations can’t pump gas either. Hopefully Tesla will be adding solar to more SuperChargers. Then we will never need to worry.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I knew someone was going to point that out. That’s completely irrelevant. Just because gas cars will be affected too doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to find a solution to the potential problem.