Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can co-owner qualify for CVRP by themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model Y for my family under my name, Jack. Then, I found out that because my parents' income is low, they qualify for the full $7,500 CVRP rebate. So then I added my mom as the co-registrant (co-owner) on the Tesla app.

Will CVRP accept the application if she applied directly herself (omitting my name from all the CVRP applications) even though I am the primary owner and she is the co-registered owner?

Before anyone disses me, my mom does intend to drive the car as this will be our second car of the family.

Thanks

But, I haven't taken delivery of the car yet. So won't her name be on the 'Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement' along with the official CA registration paperwork? I just checked my wife's registration since she is co-signer for her dad. It does show both their name's on a Lexus in CA's registration.

CVRP didn't really say that only the applicant whose applying must be the only person on all the paperwork. maybe someone can prove me wrong. Alternatively, the only option is to re-order the car under her name.

When I applied in 2020 for my 3 I just used my name for the application (both names were on the car title). Now I am not eligible for another rebate.
But upon reading the rules and calling, my wife does qualify because she never applied for one and the last one was under my name (although the vehicle was registered to both of us).

I would think you’re ok. You can call them and double check

Reactions: big bad daddy
I did call them and they told me it doesn't matter that there is a co-signer or if the applicant is the secondary co-signer. Looking at their online application, it simply states:
"Please enter one name only. The applicant name must match the name on the purchase or lease agreement and must be listed in the vehicle’s registration. Applicants who submit an application with an incorrect applicant name will need to re-apply."

To me this statement is implying "We don't care if there are two owners listed on the registration. But simply apply with one person only.. and that person's name just has to be on the registration".

I was looking to see if anyone had already collected a rebate under this situation where a husband or wife or family members are co-signers and in which person 1 made significant income which wouldn't qualify for the CVRP rebate, but person 2 on title met all the qualifications and simply applied under person 2 and collected the rebate.

thanks.

I'm such an idiot..... I went to the sales room today. I asked them how can I make it so my mom becomes the 'Primary Registrant' on the app and then me becoming the 'Secondary Registrant'. They're like... you just do it through the app. So apparently, you just hit 'Change' and then when you upload a new photo ID, it will scan the name on the new photo ID and it over-write the existing Primary registered buyer (which was me) with the new buyer and then I add myself back as the 'Secondary Registrant'.

Fabulous! Now all the paperwork should be fine with the CVRP since she's now assumed to the primary. I wanted to ensure the least amount of nonsense and redflags with CVRP.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
I'm such an idiot..... I went to the sales room today. I asked them how can I make it so my mom becomes the 'Primary Registrant' on the app and then me becoming the 'Secondary Registrant'. They're like... you just do it through the app. So apparently, you just hit 'Change' and then when you upload a new photo ID, it will scan the name on the new photo ID and it over-write the existing Primary registered buyer (which was me) with the new buyer and then I add myself back as the 'Secondary Registrant'.

Fabulous! Now all the paperwork should be fine with the CVRP since she's now assumed to the primary. I wanted to ensure the least amount of nonsense and redflags with CVRP.
you're not worried about you/wife not being able to claim the fed tax credit if you made your mom the primary?

I'm confused by your statement...

My understanding was that the federal tax credit applies to any one of the two owners on title? From my research, if a mom and son purchases a car together with both names on title and both file taxes independently (separate household), either one and only one of the two can get the federal tax credit. As for the CVRP, this is separate and I would have her file herself since she will qualify for the low-income increased rebate. For example, the Tesla app asked me and my mom for both our SSN to report to the IRS.

By the way, I called CVRP 2 times and confirmed the following:

1) The address on the CVRP application does not need to match the address on the DMV registration. We currently have it at my address because Orange County tax is way cheaper than LA County tax.

2) It doesn't matter, in which order, who is the primary/secondary owner/co-signer of the car. So it didn't matter that I made my mom the primary, but I figured I do it anyway so the paperwork will just jive.

Reactions: dohmahmigh

Fabulous! Now all the paperwork should be fine with the CVRP since she's now assumed to the primary. I wanted to ensure the least amount of nonsense and redflags with CVRS

1) The address on the CVRP application does not need to match the address on the DMV registration. We currently have it at my address because Orange County tax is way cheaper than LA County tax.

2) It doesn't matter, in which order, who is the primary/secondary owner/co-signer of the car. So it didn't matter that I made my mom the primary, but I figured I do it anyway so the paperwork will just ji

Your mom must be living in a different house or they will count income of all people over 18 in the household. This applies to the higher credit, the 2K is fine

2) It doesn't matter, in which order, who is the primary/secondary owner/co-signer of the car. So it didn't matter that I made my mom the primary, but I figured I do it anyway so the paperwork will just jive.
Hi,

Just wondering if you have successfully applied for and received your CVRP rebate?

Thanks

I did call them and they told me it doesn't matter that there is a co-signer or if the applicant is the secondary co-signer. Looking at their online application, it simply states:
"Please enter one name only. The applicant name must match the name on the purchase or lease agreement and must be listed in the vehicle’s registration. Applicants who submit an application with an incorrect applicant name will need to re-apply."

To me this statement is implying "We don't care if there are two owners listed on the registration. But simply apply with one person only.. and that person's name just has to be on the registration".

I was looking to see if anyone had already collected a rebate under this situation where a husband or wife or family members are co-signers and in which person 1 made significant income which wouldn't qualify for the CVRP rebate, but person 2 on title met all the qualifications and simply applied under person 2 and collected the rebate.

thanks.
As long as they are 2 different households/addresses

There is an unprecedented backlog at CVRP. Days to first review is 57 days. I’m only at 43 days, haven’t had the car that long.

So I’m still in queue.

What is up big daddy

Looking to do similar to what you are doing. Purchase vehicle and try to get $7500 by letting my mom file for cvrp. Difference is we are in same household.
There should be no issue with federal tax credit because I'll claim it. How about cvrp, as mom receives social security but still low to get $7500. does cvrp count TOTAL HOUSEHOLD income or individuals?

What is up big daddy

Looking to do similar to what you are doing. Purchase vehicle and try to get $7500 by letting my mom file for cvrp. Difference is we are in same household.
There should be no issue with federal tax credit because I'll claim it. How about cvrp, as mom receives social security but still low to get $7500. does cvrp count TOTAL HOUSEHOLD income or individuals?
Unless they changed, has to be different addresses. (For CVRP)