Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Electrified Garage rescue us from radarless doom?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how likely they are to respond, but I reached out to Electrified Garage asking if they can install a radar unit from a wrecked Tesla and configure the system to work for Auto Pilot in the nerfed cars that are being produced now. The stories about it now not working in rain, and requiring use of auto high beam headlights to be enabled are much more concerning than the vague "it will be slightly limited at first" official story.

I also asked if there is a way to enable traditional "dumb" cruise control that doesn't rely on cameras or radar to work. Most cars with intelligent cruise control have dumb cruise as a backup in case some sensors are non-functional.

Later,

Keith

I don't know how likely they are to respond, but I reached out to Electrified Garage asking if they can install a radar unit from a wrecked Tesla and configure the system to work for Auto Pilot in the nerfed cars that are being produced now. The stories about it now not working in rain, and requiring use of auto high beam headlights to be enabled are much more concerning than the vague "it will be slightly limited at first" official story.

I also asked if there is a way to enable traditional "dumb" cruise control that doesn't rely on cameras or radar to work. Most cars with intelligent cruise control have dumb cruise as a backup in case some sensors are non-functional.

Later,

Keith
I think you just need to cancel your order. Then you won’t need to worry about it.

They probably can but it wont be worth it. In a few months they will just disable radar via over the air update so even the old cars behave the same way.
This...plus others have had official Tesla OEM parts installed on their own and without Tesla's knowledge, like the PWS and Homelink yet didn't have the software update to enable it. You can go back through threads here and see that Tesla can and will make changes to the car over time, support new hardware and remove features. The car's hardware is tightly intertwined with the software so going on your own and expecting things to work and be supported by Tesla in the future is not guaranteed or may never work.