TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Can EV Batteries Last 20 Years?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by Doug_G, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Design News - News - Can EV Batteries Last 20 Years?
  2. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Long Beach, California
    Very cool. Will help when people ask how long your $40K battery will last. :biggrin:
  3. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Nov 15, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    From the Article cited by the OP:

My daily commute is pretty short. Probably 8-20 miles a day, depending if I'm running errands after work. maybe I'll try to stay around 50% charge unless I'm planning on doing some more driving.

Get myself to 50% and used timed charging to start charging 1 hour before I go to work?
  4. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Jan 22, 2010
    #4 PopSmith, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    That's great news for Tesla since they thermally manage their batteries.

Some mileage numbers:
    15 years * 12K miles = 180K miles (290K kilometers).
    15 years * 15K miles = 225K miles (362K kilometers).

If the average ICE lasts 200K miles (I really don't know what the expected life is) then a properly managed current-generation EV should last about as long as an ICE.
    Hopefully continued improvements in battery management and capacity will result in an EV that far exceeds any ICE's lifespan.

From reading around on the forums here is what I remember:
    - Having cells at a lower charge means the pack overall has to work harder to maintain the same output. This increases "stress" on the batteries and shortens the lifespan. By plugging in each night you reduce the amount of "stress" on the pack which should increase its lifespan.
    - Tesla has officially said "plug-in when you can" (in Standard mode).