Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can FSD beta lull you into unsafe inattentiveness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would/could FSD beta lull one into being inattentive? I know in order to get Beta we are challenged to be hyper alert and paranoid about it.
so here is the potential example even with only Auto Pilot. You can engage auto pilot while following the car in front and if that car stops for a traffic light you will stop automatically too. This will work for miles and miles as long as that car in front of you does not turn off and then there is no car in front of you. So if you get too used to it and that car turns off and you fiddle with the radio or are thinking about something else then all of a sudden you don't stop at that traffic light. Well, I know this example, is a good reason to get FSD. But I'm sure there are some situations in FSD or Beta that aren't recognized and if you are not super paying attention you get into an accident. So if a person can't relax and let FSD Beta do its job why pay $12,000 to have it. As an aside note it seems that we all have just about driven autonomously for years anyway, changing channels on radio, having deep conversation with passenger, thinking about work problems. etc.

Have you used Autopilot much?

If I start fiddling around with the console the car pings me pretty quickly to interact with the wheel. If I pick up my phone, it pings me almost immediately.

While you can certainly deliberately tune out these reminders to pay attention to the road, that is a choice on your part. I know there are also steering wheel weights and other work arounds, but again that’s the driver’s choice.

I don’t think you need to be “Hyper Alert” when on autopilot, just normal alert. I don’t mess with FSD because paying to participate in a beta doesn’t make sense to me.

IMO the car gives ample queues to prevent you accidentally getting lulled into being inattentive. If you chose to ignore them or bypass the warnings, that’s on you.

Have you used Autopilot much?

If I start fiddling around with the console the car pings me pretty quickly to interact with the wheel. If I pick up my phone, it pings me almost immediately.

While you can certainly deliberately tune out these reminders to pay attention to the road, that is a choice on your part. I know there are also steering wheel weights and other work arounds, but again that’s the driver’s choice.

I don’t think you need to be “Hyper Alert” when on autopilot, just normal alert. I don’t mess with FSD because paying to participate in a beta doesn’t make sense to me.

IMO the car gives ample queues to prevent you accidentally getting lulled into being inattentive. If you chose to ignore them or bypass the warnings, that’s on you.
I do use auto pilot a lot and am, it seems, more attentive when in auto-pilot. required re engagement of AP when changing lanes helps with staying attentive.

Reactions: EVFamilyGrins
Vehicles should have good driver monitoring systems active at all times and quite a few do nowadays in various forms, definitely no reason they should only be active if ADAS is active when so many people are manually driving around staring at their crotches

Reactions: WhiteWi