Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can FSD degenerate over time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Tesla Y in late June 2021. FSD was only enabled for freeway use when I got the car. Learning how to let the car drive
scared me into being a better driver. lol I became a FSD Beta tester on 12/1/21 and surface street FSD was enabled.

Driving on FSD was initially very stressful, but by the time I became a beta tester I was pretty comfortable.The car had the usual issues on surface streets,
bad at left turns, phantom breaking and occasionally crossing over into the wrong lane prior to the Christmas as update. But since this update the
car seems to drive worse. Left turns are a bit better and crossing into the wrong lane hasn't happened again.
I swear the software is deteriorating daily. Here is the list in the order in which they first occurred.

1) Hesitation at stop signs. Oddly I have a route I do 3-6 times a week and there was no hesitation at two busy stops sign onto larger streets prior to update.
Now it happens so frequently that people honk at me and I have to take over to make the turns.
2) Not seeing all speed limits and going either too slow or too fast.
3) On surface streets taking turns at too high a speed in an exit lane. This is scary when the turn is into a single-lane narrow street with large island.
I have had to take control several times so the car didn't hit the island.
4) Hesitation in crossing intersections with stop lights. This seems to be getting worse. Bad in busy traffic.
5) Way too frequent lane changes on surface streets. Damn car stop doing this please!
6) Dropping the speed limit on the freeway by 10 for no apparent reason. Then quickly speeds up again. Often there is nothing around. The phantom
breaking I had experienced earlier, slowed down much more and I had to take over to increase speed.

So I have been using FSD as much as possible on surface streets and when it's good it's whew! and when it's not I just give up and drive myself.
I am doing that more and more these days.

Is anyone else experiencing any of this?

Seems like 10.x is not a release version that will achieve the FSD goals.
I doubt 11.x will do it either.
I'm not sure what will give a boost to the NN where it will not mess up so often.
My fear is that another round of HW upgrades will be required, because that will take some time to both roll out and retrofit existing cars.

Reactions: blissdancer