Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can FSD/et al handle this parking situation?

Is this possible?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a peculiar parking need that from everything I can tell, is not supported by any of the autonomous driving features. I just wanted to run it by a community more experienced with these features than me to see if I am missing anything.

I have a "one and a half car garage," with a "one car garage door." I keep a snowblower and motorcycle in the extra half of the garage. The garage door frame is about two feet from the closer wall. If I back in manually, and tuck the car behind the garage door frame, there is plenty of room to get the snowblower and motorcycle out while the car is still in there. (see photo)

Can any of the Tesla's FSD features do this for me?

From what I can tell, basic summon will avoid hitting the frame, but will not tuck the car behind it. Auto-park will not recognize this as a parking space. Smart Summon does not have a precise enough UX to let me tell the car what I want it to do; it asks me to put a circle on a satellite picture of my garage roof to represent where I want the car to end up. I can not distinguish where the walls or edge of the car are.

Any other ideas? Any nuances I'm missing?

IMG_7195 copy.JPG

I don't think autopark uses the lines at all, it only uses the sides of the adjacent vehicles.

OP I have a similar situation (2 car garage, 2 vehicles plus kids' bikes, lawn mower, power tools, garden stuff, etc) and I back my car in and tuck it like you have done in the picture. I don't think there is an self parking feature that will do this maneuver, and to be honest, I would be reluctant to try it. I think you will have to back in manually.

Reactions: boonedocks
I do something similar in a two car, where I need to be right over to open the second cars doors.

my prediction is It won’t pull in like this for you.

80% chance it will pull out okay. The risk of failure is if the turn needed to get past the door is too sharp. I back in special like this, and often use Summon to get out.