Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can HomeLink be used in a completely manual mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always been hesitant to get HomeLink added because I've heard of some stories that it isn't always perfectly accurate with GPS on opening/closing the door and that a couple people have had their cars damaged by the door closing when it shouldn't...

Can HomeLink be used in a completely manual mode (hit a button on the in car screen to open and again to close) and disable the GPS based auto open/close?

Yes; See Auto Opening and Closing:

To operate a HomeLink device without using the touchscreen, you can automate the device to open as you approach, and close as you drive away:

1. Touch the HomeLink icon at the top of the Controls screen, then choose the device you want to automate.
  2. Select the Auto-open when arriving checkbox if you want the device to open as you approach.
  3. Touch the arrows to specify the distance you want Model Y to be from the device before it opens.
  4. Select the Auto-close when leaving checkbox if you want the device to close as you drive away.
As you approach (or drive away from) a device that is set to operate automatically, the HomeLink status icon displays a count-down message to let you know when the device automatically opens or closes. In situations where you don't want the device to automatically open or close, touch Skip Auto-Open or Skip Auto-Close at any time during the count-down message.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Yes, I use it manually. As I approach my driveway the icon appears in the lower left of the screen and acts just like a manual garage door opener, no timer as described above. Similarly, when I leave the button is available in the same location.
This! Thank you. I don't want some count down. I don't want to remember touching the screen if I'm moving the car from the road to the drive way, or one end of the drive way to another because I'm washing it and trying not to block other cars, etc.

I just want manual open/close by hitting an icon.

Reactions: TomServo
I use the GPS-enabled functions of Homelink and they work fairly well for me, the exceptions being just moving the car and washing it as @acarney mentions. Early in my ownership, I did have an incident where the garage door was triggered with the car underneath it…I was testing the Summon feature. I was outside the car and when I saw the garage door going down I immediately stepped in front of the safety sensors and the door reversed so no actual impact.

Rather than changing anything in the car or its settings, I installed a 2nd set of door sensors at a height equal to that of the car’s body so that any part of the car will prevent the door coming down, not just the tires. Has worked well since. An additional set of sensors cost about $30, took me half an hour to install, and were readily available at the local home improvement store. Others have reported that they just raised the existing door sensors from near the ground to car body height, but that may miss other threats such as pets, and there may be codes or manufacturer requirements for the low sensors. I took the path of additional sensors instead.

This! Thank you. I don't want some count down. I don't want to remember touching the screen if I'm moving the car from the road to the drive way, or one end of the drive way to another because I'm washing it and trying not to block other cars, etc.

I just want manual open/close by hitting an icon.
If you keep your car in the garage, the easiest is to stick your manual opener to the back of the screen with a double sided tape. If you park outside, then it’s a break-in risk.

I always set my GPS distance far enough away where it was never even close to being an issue. Right upon approach to the driveway seems to do it. If it's closing on your car... the distance you've set is waaaay off.

There are no trees obstructing my house or car upon approach, I'm sure that helps. But it's always been rock-solid and never had an issue with it opening/closing at the exact same location every time.

@acarney I never posted about how good it works because it worked. People only post things when they go wrong - I think you should spring for it :)

Last edited:
As mentioned, the Homelink can be used manually like any other car. You get the option of auto open/close, which I have always used and it has worked great for me. It always play an audible chime when the auto open/close activates, so at least you have an audio indication of it being activated without having to look at the on-screen buttons.

I've always been hesitant to get HomeLink added because I've heard of some stories that it isn't always perfectly accurate with GPS on opening/closing the door and that a couple people have had their cars damaged by the door closing when it shouldn't...

Can HomeLink be used in a completely manual mode (hit a button on the in car screen to open and again to close) and disable the GPS based auto open/close?
Yes, but why get homelink then? Your typical garage opener is $300 cheaper and functions the same.

I always set my GPS distance far enough away where it was never even close to being an issue. Right upon approach to the driveway seems to do it. If it's closing on your car... the distance you've set is waaaay off.

There are no trees obstructing my house or car upon approach, I'm sure that helps. But it's always been rock-solid and never had an issue with it opening/closing at the exact same location every time.

@acarney I never posted about how good it works because it worked. People only post things when they go wrong - I think you should spring for it :)
Same for me never had a single issue. Pulling up over a 100’ away it opens and closes when I leave. Sure like someone posted if you opt to stop your car Under the door and get out to chat with your wife (why??) things can go wrong. Love the automation personally.

I use the GPS-enabled functions of Homelink and they work fairly well for me, the exceptions being just moving the car and washing it as @acarney mentions. Early in my ownership, I did have an incident where the garage door was triggered with the car underneath it…I was testing the Summon feature. I was outside the car and when I saw the garage door going down I immediately stepped in front of the safety sensors and the door reversed so no actual impact.

Rather than changing anything in the car or its settings, I installed a 2nd set of door sensors at a height equal to that of the car’s body so that any part of the car will prevent the door coming down, not just the tires. Has worked well since. An additional set of sensors cost about $30, took me half an hour to install, and were readily available at the local home improvement store. Others have reported that they just raised the existing door sensors from near the ground to car body height, but that may miss other threats such as pets, and there may be codes or manufacturer requirements for the low sensors. I took the path of additional sensors instead.

That's pretty clever. Did you wire the second set in series with the first? Normally closed circuit?

Yes, but why get homelink then? Your typical garage opener is $300 cheaper and functions the same.
The little remote thing leaves a mark on the headliner after a few months…. It also tore the headliner a little on my older Tesla and I don’t feel like modifying the clip on my remote or looking for another.

Yes it’s a ridiculous reason, but I had kicked around the idea of getting the HomeLink someday anyway.

Reactions: Mike_TV