TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can I _convert_ my dryer wiring to charge my Model 3?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by TigerNinety, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TigerNinety

TigerNinety New Member

Hello all,

Very pleased to be joining these discussions as a registered Model 3 waiter!

Starting to become aware of some of the planning required, and recognizing that we already have a panel and subpanel that are basically full (in our older, 1930s house). We won't want to spend $k to heavy up, just for the Tesla, if we can avoid it. So, I'm thinking that a less expensive option would be to exchange our 10+ year old electric dryer (240v/30amp) for a gas dryer (all the conduits are adjacent to the dryer), and convert the dryer electric wiring to go outside the house to supply a 14/30 electric charger for the Tesla. The dryer and necessary connection work would be much less expensive than the heavy up.

Am I missing something here? (Note, just for clarity, I'm not talking about using some kind of conversion cable to plug the Tesla into the dryer plug, but rather converting the dryer power wiring to EXCLUSIVELY charge the Tesla.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Todd

2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

It is possible to install the Tesla Wall Connector on such a circuit by setting it to a 24A max current.

Check the guide and documents at this page :Tesla — Wall Connector with 8.5' Cable

Since you mentioned you're not talking about conversion cables, we get to avoid the long discussion about adapters. If interested, you can search this board for 14-30 adapters and find plenty of information.

The drawback with your plan is that charging at 24A is less efficient than at 40A-48A. It depends on local rates and how much you drive, but you could spend 15$ more per month in electricity than with a faster setup.

3. TigerNinety

TigerNinety New Member

Thanks for your speedy reply and the link. If I take your last estimate at face value, though, I'd have to charge for more than 30 years to make up the cost of the heavy up...

4. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I explored a similar option with several electricians around here, and they all insisted that they'd have to pull fresh wire. However if your panel is at or close to capacity, converting that dryer circuit might save you from a panel upgrade.

Or if the dryer plug is accessible and you're willing to use the UMC with an appropriate adapter and dial down the amps, you could use the dryer plug just as it is.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Even if your panel is "basically full" you still may be able to run a 50A circuit in place of the 30A one. An electrician would need to do a load calculation.

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

According to Musk's biography, Elon hates acronyms. This may explain why HPWC has become "Wall connector" and UMC is now corded mobile charger, " or something similar. Just mentioning it because someone new is not likely to know what UMC means. It's the unit that is supplied with the car and allows you to use adapters to plug into various receptacles.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Actually the new corded mobile charger is the "non-UMC". It's not universal as it has a 14-50 plug built in. So far at least it's not a replacement for the Universal Mobile Connector, just another choice for people who would only use it in a 14-50 outlet.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member