Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I add FSD at delivery for $3,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take delivery in about 2 weeks and didn't order FSD. Can I have FSD added before I sign the papers and have it be $3,000 instead of the new $5,000 that it is after delivery?

My plan has been to wait and see what FSD achieves, with the expectation that I'll eventually get it. I was okay with the $1,000 penalty, but $2,000 is pretty steep.

Also, I see this price change as a move of confidence by Tesla that FSD will be a "must have" feature that tons of people will be buying which is why they raised the price. This raises my confidence that FSD is coming soon and will be worth it.

Giving some thought to this as well. I hate to succumb to the FOMO though. Taking delivery later this week.

If it's any consolation Tesla said the 4k upgrade price is staying the same for existing owners/orders. We would not need to pay the 5k later "only" 4k.

I have delivery scheduled for 7/5 , final numbers had not been done I asked if I could add FSD, was told it would delay delivery, I asked why as I thought it was just a mouse click for them? they said no if I add it after delivery it would have to go to SC for FSD activation? didn't want to wait an estimated 2 more weeks, they were however wiling to waive the $500 change fee.

I have delivery scheduled for 7/5 , final numbers had not been done I asked if I could add FSD, was told it would delay delivery, I asked why as I thought it was just a mouse click for them? they said no if I add it after delivery it would have to go to SC for FSD activation? didn't want to wait an estimated 2 more weeks, they were however wiling to waive the $500 change fee.
Whoever you were dealing with was completely misinformed. It’s definitely something that’s done over the air.

I’m fact, I did the same by adding EAP a couple days before my delivery. It showed up on my invoice, and I paid the extra dough via ACH, but it was not active at delivery. The salesperson giving me the tour went to his computer to check I had bought it, made a phone call, and I drove off. The feature appeared a few hours later

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
Seems strange since it is an OTA update. If you really want it. Would you prefer it was part of the "invoice" and also part of the "financing"? I would try to escalate and say you have no problem with taking it back to SC after delivery "if required" but you want it part of your "invoice" and "financing". If all else fails, how important is to you. Two weeks is not a long time and you would be calling the "bluff" if that is the case.

Whoever you were dealing with was completely misinformed. It’s definitely something that’s done over the air.

I’m fact, I did the same by adding EAP a couple days before my delivery. It showed up on my invoice, and I paid the extra dough via ACH, but it was not active at delivery. The salesperson giving me the tour went to his computer to check I had bought it, made a phone call, and I drove off. The feature appeared a few hours later

Was there a change fee? Or did you just have to pay $5k?

Wonder if i can just get it on delivery day? I can pay 3k cold hard cash. Wouldnt hurt to try I guess.
Can understand where it gets complicated with financing and stuff. Might give them a call.

Wonder if i can just get it on delivery day? I can pay 3k cold hard cash. Wouldnt hurt to try I guess.
Can understand where it gets complicated with financing and stuff. Might give them a call.
I change my financing by putting more money down pretty late in the process. Did not seem like a problem at all. I got my financing thru Tesla (but using a bank they setup).

Tesla does not want "cold hard cash" The prefer electronic funds transfers. Cash causes lots of problems. Even in service or at their barrista coffee shop they don't accept cash.

If you want the FSD, it is best to give them as much notice as possible. They have lots of things to do at delivery, and want it to go as smoothly as possible.

We're having the same decision angst: we're taking Delivery in a few days and my DA said they can add FSD for $3,000 without any change fee, and it would only be 3K since it's being done at or before Delivery. Only after Delivery does the hike happen -- and some people are saying that hike is 5K, while other still see 4K as the price.

This decision simply creates a feeling of a FOMO maneuver from Tesla, it just ends up being more free $$ for them until we start to see minicsucle basic FSD features in Firmware 9 release.

They have said existing owners/orders before the change can still get it for $4,000 --- but there's no guarantee that grandfather period is permanent, and they could change the post-Delivery FSD price anytime. More FOMO quakes.

Just asked my ISA. Looks like it's possible but with delayed delivery. Think I will pass. Maybe I will ask at delivery. Quote below:

"Thank you for the follow up.

I can submit the request to add FSD to your Model 3.

We will need to redo the paperwork and add the software to your Model 3.

I would expect delivery to happen next Thursday or Friday if we make this change.

Would you like to move forward?"

Why not just get 9 or 10 TSLA shares? Until they eventually get around to actually accomplishing FSD (big if), you didn't loan/donate them money but took some ownership allowing to be exposed to all their financials, not just FSD. IMO all stocks are inflated due to unlimited zero interest money having no-where else to do. But that $3K is a VERY unsure bet.