Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Add the Hepa Filter Myself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly my MS is in the shop for a minor fender bender repair. I visited the shop today and was asked if either I or Tesla had removed a filter element from a large rectangular frame that is located under the frunk liner. I think it is for the Hepa filter? If I buy the element and have them install when they put the frame back, will I defacto have a working system? Or does Tesla have to do specific programming to the car in order to make it functional? Thanks for any insight into this.

Steve

Sadly my MS is in the shop for a minor fender bender repair. I visited the shop today and was asked if either I or Tesla had removed a filter element from a large rectangular frame that is located under the frunk liner. I think it is for the Hepa filter? If I buy the element and have them install when they put the frame back, will I defacto have a working system? Or does Tesla have to do specific programming to the car in order to make it functional? Thanks for any insight into this.

Steve

Yes you can. The only thing you’ll be missing is the bioweapon defense mode button. All that does is set the fan speed at a strong setting (8 or 9 if memory serves) and force fresh air mode. As long as you engage fresh air mode yourself, all incoming air will go through your HEPA filter.

During a recent service visit I asked to have the HEPA filter changed. They told me it did not have to be changed until six years, my car is vintage 2017. However, they did change the cabin filter for $17.55, $8.75 labor $8.80 filter.
Mixed messages on these filters. I should have asked for the old carbon filter.

During a recent service visit I asked to have the HEPA filter changed. They told me it did not have to be changed until six years, my car is vintage 2017. However, they did change the cabin filter for $17.55, $8.75 labor $8.80 filter.
Mixed messages on these filters. I should have asked for the old carbon filter.

I changed the cabin filter myself. Very easy. Got a carbon/charcoal filter

Any ideas where the large Bio filter element can be purchased? I've been searching the web with no luck, and getting an answer from Tesla takes days. Thanks!

The only place you can get the "real" one is from Tesla. Your best bet is probably to walk into a service center and ask to buy one. They cost $200+.

If you search the forums here, I recall others have used some custom filter places to have one made in the correct dimensions for a fraction of the cost, although YMMV on quality and filtration effectiveness.

You can order with mixed results the Hepa Filter from Tesla Parts. Service department will deny unless car was originally spec'd with it. The parts department will approve with mixed success. ~cost $275.

To officially upgrade add hepa filter + bioweapons defense button I believe it is a $500 option on the tesla site.

Alternately for about $40 you can order qty 2 (qty 1costs almost the same) Merv 13 custom sized filter size 14"x27.5"x0.75" from filterbuy.com and install yourself remove about 10 bolts holding the frunk bucket in place and pull 2 small hoses approximately 30-45 min time. Set the air to lvl 10 and no recirculate. (Level 11 sets to recirc automatically and bypasses the filter)

Optionally I also purchased some carbon filter material off amazon and cut to size to combine with the filter. The Merv filter has less pleats and will need to be changed more often but the cost savings is significant and you get 96% vs 99% ish filtration.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd