Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I attach mobile charger plug to a short extension cord or plug adapter to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My work parking lot has a lot of plugs right next to the parking spots, but the outlets are in weather-proof boxes since they're all outside.
The mobile charger can't plug in due to the design angle of the plug and the depth of the box. Can I safely charge by connecting the mobile adapter plug to an plug adapter or short extension cord? I really just need something that can give me ~1.5" of depth. How is this?

or this. It says 13A, and I can charge at 10-12A

@DaveInLA Generally yes, as long as the wire gauge is sufficient. Some cords that are marketed with the term "heavy duty" really doesn't mean that they have thick enough actual wire. That usually just means that they have thicker rubber around them to protect against scratches or cuts, but that doesn't help with the resistance and heat from long term running at pretty high amps.

That is the problem with what @ATPMSD recommended. That says it's only 16 gauge wire. That is definitely too thin in my estimation. I would find something in 12 gauge if you can, but definitely no thinner than 14 gauge.