Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I buy a tesla model Y on my wife's name who is on a New Jersey learners permit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks,
I have a drivers license from Nashville, Tennessee. My wife currently has a New Jersey learners permit. Can we buy a tesla model Y on my wife's name ? NJ doesn't have a sales tax on full EV's (Nashville's estimated sales tax is around 4500$) and Jersey also has a "state rebate" up to 4000$. Don't want to miss those amazing stuff just because I have my DL in Nashville.

...My wife currently has a New Jersey learners permit...
As mentioned above, a car owner doesn't need to have a driver license to own a car. Quite a few of celebrities are in that scenario.

Mariah Carey owns a Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe, pink Porsche Cayenne, Maserati Quattroporte, a Maybach 62 Luxury Sedan, black Range Rover... but she doesn't have a driver license.

Reactions: bdhaduk and 4SUPER9
Upvote 0
As mentioned above, a car owner doesn't need to have a driver license to own a car. Quite a few of celebrities are in that scenario.

Mariah Carey owns a Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe, pink Porsche Cayenne, Maserati Quattroporte, a Maybach 62 Luxury Sedan, black Range Rover... but she doesn't have a driver license.
That's more about Mariah Carey than I have ever known.

Reactions: sdq_11
Upvote 0
So, you live in Tennessee and want to buy a car in New Jersey in order to save on sales tax and receive a nice rebate? 🤨

Each state has its laws regarding sales tax collection, vehicle registration, and receipt of government subsidies or benefits. It sounds to me that you are a resident of Tennessee. I don't know what you propose is legal or permitted. But is it the right thing to do?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
Let me answer this from Utah, where I have several wives with learner’s permits. jk

It used to be you could buy a car anywhere you want, but you’d pay sales tax from that state. You need an address to register a car, and when you register the car you pay the difference if the registering state’s sales tax was higher.

Then when you’d file your taxes, which you only do in the one state you have residency, you both can take any eligible tax credits but you are also supposed to report any out of state purchases. Since nobody actually reports out of state purchases, you’d think that would be a loophole, but most states pickup what they are owed in the registration anyway.

Tesla has some ability to let you pickup a car in one state even though you “buy” it another state because of their dealerless, online sales model.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Hey Folks,
I have a drivers license from Nashville, Tennessee. My wife currently has a New Jersey learners permit. Can we buy a tesla model Y on my wife's name ? NJ doesn't have a sales tax on full EV's (Nashville's estimated sales tax is around 4500$) and Jersey also has a "state rebate" up to 4000$. Don't want to miss those amazing stuff just because I have my DL in Nashville.
Don't know how it works with learners permit but you can register a car in NJ without a license but you need with 6 point ID. If you have a some kind of address proof to show, you can register with TN DL.

Upvote 0
He’s try to avoid to pay state tax, you have to register the car with a valid dl and he’s in TN so he has to pay TN taxes on his tesla purchase.
Yup. I understand the persons intension. While I am not encouraging (or discouraging. ) to do it, I am saying you don't need a DL in NJ to register a car in NJ. you need something called "6 Point ID" which is one of the states DMV ID verification.
Here is NJ DMV Vehicle Registration page : NJ MVC | Vehicle Registration

Upvote 0