Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I cancel scheduled software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had 2022.12.3.1 pending in the app and reminding me on screen for a few days. Today I accidentally hit schedule in the car rather than close and now the update is set for 2am tomorrow.

Is there anyway I can cancel this scheduled update? Usually keen to update software as soon as it comes out but read multiple comments of bugs, lighter steering, less regen etc, mainly on this forum and have a long motorway drive schedules for this week I’d rather do before updating.

Had 2022.12.3.1 pending in the app and reminding me on screen for a few days. Today I accidentally hit schedule in the car rather than close and now the update is set for 2am tomorrow.

Is there anyway I can cancel this scheduled update? Usually keen to update software as soon as it comes out but read multiple comments of bugs, lighter steering, less regen etc, mainly on this forum and have a long motorway drive schedules for this week I’d rather do before updating.
Yes, scheduled update could be cancelled either from the app or the car.

From my experience on a V10 Model S... Inside the car, if the alarm clock icon in the car is yellow, that means it's not scheduled. Leave it alone. If it's black, it is scheduled. Press on it and the schedule window pops up with the time. Click outside the popup window, not the X.
I think those are the steps I did to unschedule, but I am not sure. I definitely went from scheduled to not.

If you're really dedicated, you can schedule the update for a time when you know you'll be driving. The update will not proceed if the car is in use. I don't know what happens after that. Reports vary.

Good luck!

Reactions: Denglehenjiule
From the manual:

Touch the yellow clock icon to display the scheduling screen, which prompts you to select a time to install the update (Set For This Time) or install it now (Install Now). Once scheduled, the yellow clock icon changes to a white clock icon until the update begins. At any time before the update begins, you can touch this clock icon to reschedule the update.

You can re-schedule it that way, but can you un-schedule it that way?
In the phone app when you select install now it gives a countdown timer during which you can cancel. Just wondering if selecting install and then cancel will override and cancel the scheduled installation set in the car? I may have to try this next time I am given an update. I have never used the schedule update feature from the car.

It's worth bearing in mind that every time there is a software update people will post what they believe to be bugs relating to it. In many cases (not all) these "bugs" turn out not to be related to the software update and are either coincidental or relate to an issue for that vehicle or a change in the weather! By all means do what you feel you need to do in relation to delaying updates but I've had about 50 of them and as far as I can recall none have led to issues that would affect a planned trip. Though most of the content of updates remains a mystery to us there are "under the hood" changes that come via the updates that are likely to benefit vehicle function rather than make it worse.

Reactions: init6