Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I cause any harm by switching from Drive to Reverese at < 5mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone who has knowledge about the internals of the Model S drive train explain if any harm can be caused by switching from Drive to Reverse at less than 5 mph?

Sometimes when making multi-point turns in tight places I notice the car lets me switch between Drive and Reverse and I wanted to make sure there is no harm to the car when doing this.

I'm especially concerned after reading about the sub-frame failure thread for the motor mount to make sure I'm not causing any problems by doing this.

Look forward to any insight on this topic.

Reactions: selfbp
Came here to post that link but you beat me to it.

Long story short, a Model S driver experienced a subframe failure where the motor mount actually sheared off because of changing into drive while still rolling backwards. Well, the failure was probably due to some structural or design flaw, but the stress of the motor bucking was the thing that actually precipitated the failure.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Could someone who has knowledge about the internals of the Model S drive train explain if any harm can be caused by switching from Drive to Reverse at less than 5 mph?

Sometimes when making multi-point turns in tight places I notice the car lets me switch between Drive and Reverse and I wanted to make sure there is no harm to the car when doing this.

I'm especially concerned after reading about the sub-frame failure thread for the motor mount to make sure I'm not causing any problems by doing this.

Look forward to any insight on this topic.
No I don’t think you can cause any damage at all. Now if it was a Porsche and had 1 gear like it does it most likely could. But no transmission usually should mean you won’t have any negative effects

My car won't let me switch to reverse unless I am stopped. I have to do this everyday because I backup onto my driveway. I wonder if it is because I have creep enabled?

I have Creep Mode enabled as well and the car absolutely lets me switch between Drive and reveres at less than 5mph and I find this super useful. Of course I'm very gradual with the throttle when switching directions but want to make sure I'm not causing any harm.

No I don’t think you can cause any damage at all. Now if it was a Porsche and had 1 gear like it does it most likely could. But no transmission usually should mean you won’t have any negative effects

But don't we still have a single gear? And at these low speeds, a transmission would not really be switching anyway or did you mean how the gears would physically need to switch between Drive and reverse in ICE cars?

I do that every day and I love that I dont have to hit the brakes nor take the foot of the accelerator. For the level of acceleration the car has the small torque change at <5 mph should contribute to no structural damage.

And this switching of direction is "safe" for the single gear transmission as well as the mount?

I ask about the mount because someone explicitly stated about the change of direction contributing to frame the failure.

Keep in mind that you have all that momentum moving one way while the motors are pulling the motor mounts and wheels the other way. If you feel energetic (pun?) you can do the simple math to determine the kinetic energy and momentum of a 4000 lb car moving at 5 mph that needs to be overcome before you even come to a standstill.