Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I charge my 2022 MYP to 100% daily?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 2022 Model Y Performance at the end of December.

My son, the family Tesla expert, tells me that by checking the VIN # (something like the 10th character) he can confirm that my Model Y has new type of batteries, which do not have memory effect, and which can be charged to 100% daily, without battery degradation.

I've tried to search and can't find any additional info on this.

Honestly not a big issue, as I drive 50-75 miles most days, and honestly don't need to fully charge unless I am going on a long road trip, but I would like to know...

Thanks!

Your son is thinking of the Tesla Model 3 SR+, not the Long Range Model Y or Performance Model Y.

The latest Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus uses a lithium iron phosphate battery that can, should regularly be charged to 100%.

The Tesla Long Range Model Y, Performance Model Y use the lithium ion battery. The lithium ion battery should be maintained, charged between 50% up to 80%, not more than 90% daily for best health of the battery. You can charge to 100% if needed shortly before driving for longer trips. The continued build out of the Tesla Supercharger network means that you rarely need to charge to 100% to reach a Supercharger on the way to your final destination.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Son is thinking SR+ M3. Your MYP does not have the new LFP battery as would the model 3 SR+. Easy way to check..go into battery settings and see if you have ‘trip’ setting which is a line that separates 90% from 100%. If you do, your just like every other MY and need to charge to max 90% to aid in battery longevity and reduced battery heat/pressure.

Incorrect. Son is thinking SR+ M3. Your MYP does not have the new LFP battery as would the model 3 SR+. Easy way to check..go into battery settings and see if you have ‘trip’ setting which is a line that separates 90% from 100%. If you do, your just like every other MY and need to charge to max 90% to aid in battery longevity and reduced battery heat/pressure.
Thanks... yes, my MY P does have the trip designation.

Appreciate the clarification.

I picked up my 2022 Model Y Performance at the end of December.

My son, the family Tesla expert, tells me that by checking the VIN # (something like the 10th character) he can confirm that my Model Y has new type of batteries, which do not have memory effect, and which can be charged to 100% daily, without battery degradation.

I've tried to search and can't find any additional info on this.

Honestly not a big issue, as I drive 50-75 miles most days, and honestly don't need to fully charge unless I am going on a long road trip, but I would like to know...

Thanks!

You can do whatever you want, but a model Y P does NOT have the LFP battery so should not be charged to 100% daily. Evidence of this can be seen directly on the car screen (not the app) where you will find a "daily" and "trip". notations that do not exist in LFP cars.

EDIT: This showed up in my new threads and I responded before reading the rest of the thread, where others had already said the exact same thing. There was no intention here to pile on.

You can do whatever you want, but a model Y P does NOT have the LFP battery so should not be charged to 100% daily. Evidence of this can be seen directly on the car screen (not the app) where you will find a "daily" and "trip". notations that do not exist in LFP cars.

EDIT: This showed up in my new threads and I responded before reading the rest of the thread, where others had already said the exact same thing. There was no intention here to pile on.
NO problem at all, and I've been charging to only 85% since I picked up the car in any case, as I just don't need the 280+ range that I would get with a 100% charge. I get a little over 250 miles range at 85%, and that's much more than I ever need in daily driving!

It is such a pleasure having an EV with this kind of range! I previously owned a Chevy Volt, a BMW i3, and my daughter had a Fiat 500 EV. Range in those cars was always in the back of my mind.

A week after I picked up my MY, my daughter switched from a VW Tiguan to a Kia eNiro... she loves it! Great car, and it also gives her around 257 miles range. She primarily didn't want to have to go into gas stations alone at night.

We leased the Kia, as I generally believe in leasing EV's due to the improvements in battery and tech, but I purchased the Tesla. They seem to hold their value very well.

Anyways... thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: TechOps and SWIPE
Your son is thinking of the Tesla Model 3 SR+, not the Long Range Model Y or Performance Model Y.

The latest Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus uses a lithium iron phosphate battery that can, should regularly be charged to 100%.

The Tesla Long Range Model Y, Performance Model Y use the lithium ion battery. The lithium ion battery should be maintained, charged between 50% up to 80%, not more than 90% daily for best health of the battery. You can charge to 100% if needed shortly before driving for longer trips. The continued build out of the Tesla Supercharger network means that you rarely need to charge to 100% to reach a Supercharger on the way to your final destination.
Thanks for this clarification