Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Charge With This Plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Just bought a house and I’m looking at home charging options for my 2020 Long Range M3. I drive ~60 miles per day and have charging at work, but would be nice to have options at home (don’t need anything super fast).

Looks like there is a 250V/20A outlet in my garage. Does anyone have experience charging their Tesla via one of these outlets? Found an adapter that might work here:

AC WORKS Electric Vehicle Charging Adapter for Tesla Use (L6-20 20A 250V Locking to Tesla) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1QRQXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9ufmFb58HHZN1

Looks like I’d have to get a NEMA 14-50 adapter as well, and I’d have to manually adjust charging to 16A to avoid overloading the circuit breaker.

Thanks in advance!
THT

Attachments

• 9DABAC4A-8060-4D85-97A6-D263C55635EC.jpeg
    9DABAC4A-8060-4D85-97A6-D263C55635EC.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 173
its pretty easy to convert it to a regular 6-20. The nice thing about 240v 20 amp is that it uses the same wire as 120v so its as easy to work with as normal house wiring. I've charged with a 6-20 outlet for 18 months now and have had no trouble, even when I was doing 100+ miles a day. I did get in the habit of checking the charge when I woke up in case I forgot to plug in the night before as there's no "quick charge." I am planning an upgrade to 14-50 soon.

Yep. I used something like that to charge from an old style dryer plug. Please be sure you reduce the current first - I noticed that mine kept a "memory" in this scenario and when I replugged it the the charging amps were still at the lower setting.

This was at a friends house though, for your home I agree with those that recommend changing the plug.