Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I choose when I want to complete the configuration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I'm new here. I am considering placing an order for the dual motor Cybertruck. It says I will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021.

My understanding is I am placed in a queue, and once it is my turn I can configure, and complete my order. I'm currently paying off a vehicle and I want to wait to complete my current pay off before I start making payments on a new truck.

My question is, once it is my turn in the queue can I hold off on ordering right away? Say I get the option to configure, but I still have 6 months left to pay on my current vehicle, can I keep my reservation and choose to complete it once I am able? Would I have to cancel my reservation if I decide I am not able to complete it at my designated time?

I have never ordered a vehicle in the method, and I understand it says refundable, but I am curious how the configuration process works.

Thank you!

If/if they mirror what they've done for other roll outs (Y being there latest), then yes you'll be able to delay. But with a Dual, you may not have to. All indications are that it will be a few months, if not longer, before they crank those out after the Trip begins to roll.

When you are called upon to submit your order / configuration, you have forever to make up your mind. Your $100 paid for the act of Tesla calling upon you. The rest is up to you and your timeline.

Note that the “reverse” Is also true. Once you do place an order, the manufacturing order is not linked. You may get your vehicle after someone who put in their order way after you.

In short you just responded to a survey for a $100. And locked prices. No obligations going beyond that.

im pretty sure that the way thing are going u still have 2 to 3 years before u get to make any payments on the cybertruck, so pay that other car off asap
Sure, if (s)he's just ordering now it will be a few years before their number is called. The tri motor should start rolling off the line around the fourth quarter of next year, maybe a little sooner. The dual motor will start months later and when that is will depend on how many tri's need to be cleared out. They won't build every last tri in the queue before the duals start but it will be a while. So I wouldn't be surprised if they started building them 3 to 6 months after the tri's begin. And like others have mentioned, you can defer final configuration indefinitely. I tried to time my Model 3 delivery to when my current lease was up. I missed by a few weeks though and had to carpool with the wife for a bit. Tesla tends to screw around with delivery dates so you never know exactly how long configuration to delivery will take.