Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I convert a 6-15 outlet to a 6-50 (or 14-50) outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my model Y and I'm trying to make sure I'm setup to charge it properly at home.

I'm attaching a picture (see link below) of an existing 6-15, 30A, 240v outlet I have in my garage, presumably installed for a dryer at some point. I'd like to swap it for an outlet that charges more quickly...such as a 6-50 or 14-50.

Is it possible to simply change the outlet, or would it take more involved wiring, etc. at the breaker box in order to do this?

Outlet Picture

It's a bad idea to put a 50A outlet on a 30A circuit.

Just buy the correct adapter from Tesla:

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I just ordered my model Y and I'm trying to make sure I'm setup to charge it properly at home.

I'm attaching a picture (see link below) of an existing 6-15, 30A, 240v outlet I have in my garage, presumably installed for a dryer at some point. I'd like to swap it for an outlet that charges more quickly...such as a 6-50 or 14-50.

Is it possible to simply change the outlet, or would it take more involved wiring, etc. at the breaker box in order to do this?

Outlet Picture
It would be unusual for the original installer to use wire that could do 40 or 50 amps when all (s)he needed was 30 amp capability. That said, its not entirely impossible, and yes, at the very least you'd need to swap the breaker and outlet, but only AFTER you verify that the wiring is capable of safely moving 40 or even 50 amps. It is 'okay' to put a 40 amp breaker/wiring on a 14-50 outlet, and that'll max out what the UMC can do.

Reactions: RudeDude
Upvote 0
I'm attaching a picture (see link below)
Sorry, work blocks me from going to Google Drive, so I can't see the picture. What actual outlet is this?
of an existing 6-15, 30A, 240v outlet
What the frick is going on with this?! A 6-15 outlet is (by the name) supposed to be a 15A outlet. It is not a 30A outlet, and that would be a code violation if this is set up with a 30A breaker. And who even knows what kind of wiring you have in there--if it's 15A rated or 30A rated? You've got such a mismatch of stuff I would like to see each thing--breaker, wire, and outlet.

Ooooohhhh, wait a second. Are you doing that thing people do, where they see the breaker that has two handles on it that both say "15", and you add them together, thinking that means it's a 30A circuit? That's not how that works. That would be a two-pole 15A breaker, not a 30A. And if that is what you have--a normal standard 6-15 outlet install--then just buy the 6-15 plug from Tesla. That's easy.

So as for what you could change it to, that really depends on what size wire you have, which you haven't mentioned yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is OPs outlet. 6-15

1629832475480.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Here is OPs outlet. 6-15
That says "30A 250V" right on the face of it. I'm pretty sure that is not a 6-15, but is really a 6-30.
Tesla, in their infinite wisdom (*cough*), doesn't sell a 6-30 adapter. But here is a good one you can buy from EVSEAdapters. And that would be even better news for the OP, as a 6-30 would be a really good charging rate that probably wouldn't need to be changed to anything else.

Reactions: doug
Upvote 1