TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can I convert NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 6-20

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by StanTheMan, Sep 4, 2018.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Member

I saw people converted NEMA 5-20 to NEMA 6-20. But the only A/C outlet I have in my garage is a NEMA 5-15. There is also no separate Panel in my garage. An Tesla approved electrician told me I needed a big project to add NEMA 14-50. It costs $3200. That's why I am thinking about whether there is inexpensive way to upgrade from the slow NEMA 5-15.

My daily commute is less than 20 miles. So, I can technically live with a 5 mile/hour outlet. But the charging rate of a NEMA 6-20 would be perfect?

But is it possible to get done inexpensively?

2. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

#2 ratsbew, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    I'm probably the guy you saw who converted the 5-20 to a 6-20. You should be able to convert it super easily if there is 12 gauge wiring in place and IF IT IS THE ONLY OUTLET ON THAT CIRCUIT (unless you upgrade the others to a 6-15 or 6-20). If it's 14 gauge you could do a 6-15, but once again, you'll have to upgrade all the other outlets to 6-15 which makes them basically unusable since most things don't take 240 Volts.

Your best bet is probably to upgrade to a 6-15. I'd estimate your total cost at $15 if you DIY. If you don't DIY, I can't imagine an honest electrician charging over $100.

5-15 is surprisingly useful though if you can't upgrade.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla does make a 6-15 adapter for the Gen 2 UMC if you’re wiring won’t support a 20A circuit. Charging at 240V 12A with that outlet will be twice as fast as using the 5-15 outlet.

4. KenC

KenC Member

Wow, that's crazy expensive! I've never heard of a job costing $3200. Do they have to rewire your whole box? I'm fortunate in that I just changed out a 20amp, 12 gauge, 6-20 for my Volt, to a 50amp, 6 gauge, 14-50 for my 3, for $75.

5. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Member

Thanks for the info. I forgot 6-15 can do as good a job without worrying about the amp limit. If an electrician charge anything less than $100, I will probably let him do it. 11 miles per hour means about 120 miles over night. That's more than enough for my typical use.

6. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Member

The problem is there is no panel in my garage. The only panel is in the the other side of the house outside. The electrician claimed he had to create a new line from the outside and made a big circle to the front of the house and insert it in the garage. Anyhow, that's too big a project for my like.

7. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I would get a couple more estimates - $3200 still seems way on the high side if there's no panel upgrades necessary. I obviously don't know how your house is laid out but normally running a new circuit isn't that big of a deal.

8. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

so you have to have more details as to why the cost of $3200. I ran a run over 75ft and a nema 14-50 and a circuit breaker... parts was under $200. If your only way to do this is external then add a few hundred for conduit. If he needs to add another panel, no room for a breaker, or up the power to the house then maybe $3200 is reasonable. Like others have said, get a few more electricians to come to the house and get estimates, and ask specifically how they are figuring out the cost. Labor is probably $100 and hour give or take.