Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I convert NEMA 5-15 to NEMA 6-20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw people converted NEMA 5-20 to NEMA 6-20. But the only A/C outlet I have in my garage is a NEMA 5-15. There is also no separate Panel in my garage. An Tesla approved electrician told me I needed a big project to add NEMA 14-50. It costs $3200. That's why I am thinking about whether there is inexpensive way to upgrade from the slow NEMA 5-15.

My daily commute is less than 20 miles. So, I can technically live with a 5 mile/hour outlet. But the charging rate of a NEMA 6-20 would be perfect?

But is it possible to get done inexpensively?

I'm probably the guy you saw who converted the 5-20 to a 6-20. You should be able to convert it super easily if there is 12 gauge wiring in place and IF IT IS THE ONLY OUTLET ON THAT CIRCUIT (unless you upgrade the others to a 6-15 or 6-20). If it's 14 gauge you could do a 6-15, but once again, you'll have to upgrade all the other outlets to 6-15 which makes them basically unusable since most things don't take 240 Volts.

Your best bet is probably to upgrade to a 6-15. I'd estimate your total cost at $15 if you DIY. If you don't DIY, I can't imagine an honest electrician charging over $100.

5-15 is surprisingly useful though if you can't upgrade.

Last edited:
Wow, that's crazy expensive! I've never heard of a job costing $3200. Do they have to rewire your whole box? I'm fortunate in that I just changed out a 20amp, 12 gauge, 6-20 for my Volt, to a 50amp, 6 gauge, 14-50 for my 3, for $75.

I'm probably the guy you saw who converted the 5-20 to a 6-20. You should be able to convert it super easily if there is 12 gauge wiring in place and IF IT IS THE ONLY OUTLET ON THAT CIRCUIT (unless you upgrade the others to a 6-15 or 6-20). If it's 14 gauge you could do a 6-15, but once again, you'll have to upgrade all the other outlets to 6-15 which makes them basically unusable since most things don't take 240 Volts.

Your best bet is probably to upgrade to a 6-15. I'd estimate your total cost at $15 if you DIY. If you don't DIY, I can't imagine an honest electrician charging over $100.

5-15 is surprisingly useful though if you can't upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I forgot 6-15 can do as good a job without worrying about the amp limit. If an electrician charge anything less than $100, I will probably let him do it. 11 miles per hour means about 120 miles over night. That's more than enough for my typical use.

Wow, that's crazy expensive! I've never heard of a job costing $3200. Do they have to rewire your whole box? I'm fortunate in that I just changed out a 20amp, 12 gauge, 6-20 for my Volt, to a 50amp, 6 gauge, 14-50 for my 3, for $75.

The problem is there is no panel in my garage. The only panel is in the the other side of the house outside. The electrician claimed he had to create a new line from the outside and made a big circle to the front of the house and insert it in the garage. Anyhow, that's too big a project for my like.

The problem is there is no panel in my garage. The only panel is in the the other side of the house outside. The electrician claimed he had to create a new line from the outside and made a big circle to the front of the house and insert it in the garage. Anyhow, that's too big a project for my like.
I would get a couple more estimates - $3200 still seems way on the high side if there's no panel upgrades necessary. I obviously don't know how your house is laid out but normally running a new circuit isn't that big of a deal.

so you have to have more details as to why the cost of $3200. I ran a run over 75ft and a nema 14-50 and a circuit breaker... parts was under $200. If your only way to do this is external then add a few hundred for conduit. If he needs to add another panel, no room for a breaker, or up the power to the house then maybe $3200 is reasonable. Like others have said, get a few more electricians to come to the house and get estimates, and ask specifically how they are figuring out the cost. Labor is probably $100 and hour give or take.

so you have to have more details as to why the cost of $3200. I ran a run over 75ft and a nema 14-50 and a circuit breaker... parts was under $200. If your only way to do this is external then add a few hundred for conduit. If he needs to add another panel, no room for a breaker, or up the power to the house then maybe $3200 is reasonable. Like others have said, get a few more electricians to come to the house and get estimates, and ask specifically how they are figuring out the cost. Labor is probably $100 and hour give or take.

The quote I got last year was also a little over $3k. Only had 5-15 in the garage but its a 20 amp circuit so I switched one outlet to 5-20. The increase in charging speed to ~5 mph for the MX and ~7 mph for the M3 has been more than adequate for us. I don't see a need to spend the money required to upgrade any further. If my needs changed later, would consider switching one outlet to a dedicated circuit and upgrading it to 6-20.

As for details on the high estimate from the electrician, it's mostly labor. The sub panel is inside the house so would require running lines though the ceiling and multiple walls.
From the old estimate:
* from interior sub panel, open wall in closet and ceiling to bedroom closet. Bore holes through studs, nail plates
and joists for conductor. Thread 4/3 Romex from existing 150 amp sub panel through studs and joists to stub
through with 1” flex steel in Laundry area. Stub through with 1” flex to back of pull station in garage. Splice
Romex and continue with 1” emt along garage wall to front corner of garage to new sub panel. Run ¾” emt to (N)
junction box with NEMA 14-50 plug land on 50 amp breaker.
Materials and permit...........................................................................................................................$465
Labor (32 hours including permits, installation and inspection).......................................................$2625
Total...................................................................................................................................................$3090

Hi. Electrician in virginia here. 3200 dollars does sound very high for a 50 amp circuit unless you need to replace your panel. If you have a crawl space this job should be sub-1000 for a qualified electrician to do, especially considering you live in NC. I cannot imagine a scenario where it would take $3200.

Get a few more quotes and read online reviews, you can usually trust them.

As an aside, you probably cannot easily change your outlet from a 5-15 to a 6-20...

OTOH i would charge $175 to convert an outlet. $125 for service call, $50 in parts.