Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I disable the driver seat weight sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When backing up, my S constantly shifts from R into Park! Turns out it's because I'm lightly lifting my butt off the seat to turn and see what's behind, which my S takes to mean I'm no longer there and "Whoa - gotta emergency park!"

I understand there's a hyper-sensitive weight sensor there. Any way to "disarm" it?

None that I'm aware of.

However...if you're curious about how to electrically disable the seat switch, it might be the red and grey/yellow wires on pin 3 and 12 of one of the connectors under the seat. Other than adding a circuit that "electrically" closed the switch for the brief time that the seat is buttless, I'd certainly not recommend mucking with this. Forcing it closed would probably keep the car from locking when you exit and might even affect some of the safety systems.

I read a story a few years ago where a man backing his SUV out of his driveway made a hard right turn so that he could lean out of the open door to grab the newspaper on the ground. He fell out of the car. It was the last paper he ever touched. Can't happen in a Tesla.

When backing up, my S constantly shifts from R into Park! Turns out it's because I'm lightly lifting my butt off the seat to turn and see what's behind, which my S takes to mean I'm no longer there and "Whoa - gotta emergency park!"

I understand there's a hyper-sensitive weight sensor there. Any way to "disarm" it?
If you fasten your seatbelt, the car will no longer go into park when you lift off the seat.

Reactions: mrElbe
Right, you don't mention if you know this. Seatbelt fastened cures this ill.
I agree though, it is too sensitive. Happens to me as well when i'm doing a short trip to store, or moving the car etc..........I don't feel a need for a seatbelt to go around the block. It's a pain in the butt! There for a good reason but again too sensitive!

• Disagree
Reactions: Rytis

I love having the rear camera (for blind spot while driving) on all the time, and why doesn't this help when you're backing up? It is very wide angle.
Do you also have your mirrors set to tilt, when you put it in reverse?

Reactions: croman