TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Can I disable the driver seat weight sensor?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Philippe711, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Philippe711

Philippe711 New Member

When backing up, my S constantly shifts from R into Park! Turns out it's because I'm lightly lifting my butt off the seat to turn and see what's behind, which my S takes to mean I'm no longer there and "Whoa - gotta emergency park!"

I understand there's a hyper-sensitive weight sensor there. Any way to "disarm" it?

2. Haxster

Haxster Member

None that I'm aware of.

However...if you're curious about how to electrically disable the seat switch, it might be the red and grey/yellow wires on pin 3 and 12 of one of the connectors under the seat. Other than adding a circuit that "electrically" closed the switch for the brief time that the seat is buttless, I'd certainly not recommend mucking with this. Forcing it closed would probably keep the car from locking when you exit and might even affect some of the safety systems.

I read a story a few years ago where a man backing his SUV out of his driveway made a hard right turn so that he could lean out of the open door to grab the newspaper on the ground. He fell out of the car. It was the last paper he ever touched. Can't happen in a Tesla.

3. thimel

thimel Member

If you fasten your seatbelt, the car will no longer go into park when you lift off the seat.

• Like x 1
  4. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Right, you don't mention if you know this. Seatbelt fastened cures this ill.
    I agree though, it is too sensitive. Happens to me as well when i'm doing a short trip to store, or moving the car etc..........I don't feel a need for a seatbelt to go around the block. It's a pain in the butt! There for a good reason but again too sensitive!

• Disagree x 1
  5. Nosken

Nosken Member

I love having the rear camera (for blind spot while driving) on all the time, and why doesn't this help when you're backing up? It is very wide angle.
    Do you also have your mirrors set to tilt, when you put it in reverse?

• Like x 1
  6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The trick is to fasten the belt behind you. Just don't drive the car like that!

7. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

Why disable such a great safety device?

• Like x 1
  8. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I use the side mirrors and the rear camera to back up. No body and neck twisting involved and of course I still have my seatbelt on.

9. Terra117

Terra117 Member

If you use a seat belt extension, the car acts as if a seat belt is always in use.

It's a handy trick to disable that annoying chime when the car is on but not everyone has fastened their seatbelts.

• Informative x 1