Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I DIY install Matrix headlights since my new Model 3 didnt come with them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took delivery of my 22 Model 3 LR but it did not come with the matrix headlights. Does anyone know if I can buy a set of eBay and install them myself? Kinda bummed the car didn’t come with them but took delivery regardless since it seems to be a tossup on if they come regardless.

So I just took delivery of my 22 Model 3 LR but it did not come with the matrix headlights. Does anyone know if I can buy a set of eBay and install them myself? Kinda bummed the car didn’t come with them but took delivery regardless since it seems to be a tossup on if they come regardless.

There's a large thread on these in the ordering section of the forum. I mean I wouldn't buy a new Tesla and perform eyeball surgery on it right away.

• Funny
Reactions: phaheem
Upvote 0
Tesla changes that a few months ago LR won't come with Matrix headlights. Only the Performance model atm. There have been reports some LR delivery 3/Y Tesla is now including the Matrix LED but not all.

Upvote 0
While I was prepared to refuse delivery if my M3P came with the reflector lights and after ownership I would still stick to that, I will say these matrix lights are not exactly high quality light assemblies. If you have owned recent BMW or Audi's you would be used to beautifully crafted headlight housings. My matrix headlights look like they were assembled by hand without gloves as you can see fingerprints on one of the projectors and they kind of look a little aftermarket in quality compared to the Icon adaptive LED's on my BMW. While it sucks to get reflector lights, it's not like the matrix headlights are cutting edge or anything as they are nothing special at all.

• Funny
Reactions: phaheem
Upvote 0
I wouldn't lose much sleep over it, they don't actually do anything at the moment and there could easily be a hardware revision to it on later cars once Tesla actually get around to trying to do something productive with it.
This.

It does feel odd seeing a 2021 model with "newer" hardware than my 22 model, but honestly the reflectors light up the road quite nicely!

Upvote 0
I have said this in a couple other threads, but I have a 2018 model 3P with the "old" reflector lights, and we just picked up a 2022 Model Y P with the new matrix lights. Since I have both cars in my garage, and drive them both on the same roads, with the same level of darkness etc, I feel like I get a very good chance to compare these two lights, at least for myself.

I will say that the matrix lights are "better" than the reflectors, but not enough to lose sleep over, or not enough to spend a bunch of money trying to retrofit them (currently). Neither one is as good as any of the BMWs I have had over the years that had upgraded lighting packages (which I always got when it was an option on them).

Perhaps when (if?) tesla ever enables some additional capability, like swiveling when the steering wheel is turned (like my BMWs did), or additional tunneling with high beams on (like I coded my BMWs to do), I might have a different opinion.

Upvote 0
If you buy the new global headlights your car won't recognize the light and will not turn on since your car came with premium headlights from factory.

But good news is that retrofit is possible, some people on this forum was able to make it work with connection and luck with Tesla. But its just a matter of when Tesla will ever offer retrofit. My local service center keeps saying not available at this time for retrofit. For now just enjoy your premium headlights and keep checking back hoping a retrofit will be offer some day.

Upvote 0
No, I mean that by the time Tesla actually starts doing something meaningful with matrix headlights, which could be months away, they might end up bringing out newer versions of the headlights, with changed functionality.

In other words - the matrix headlights currently being fitted to cars might not be the optimum versions that Tesla end up developing software for.

Upvote 0
While I was prepared to refuse delivery if my M3P came with the reflector lights and after ownership I would still stick to that, I will say these matrix lights are not exactly high quality light assemblies. If you have owned recent BMW or Audi's you would be used to beautifully crafted headlight housings. My matrix headlights look like they were assembled by hand without gloves as you can see fingerprints on one of the projectors and they kind of look a little aftermarket in quality compared to the Icon adaptive LED's on my BMW. While it sucks to get reflector lights, it's not like the matrix headlights are cutting edge or anything as they are nothing special at all.
I also have fingerprints all over both inner headlights assemblies. VIN 299 M3P …. Ridiculous
099AC7CB-4B0F-4F16-A5E5-3F88CA201EE4.jpeg

Upvote 0
I have said this in a couple other threads, but I have a 2018 model 3P with the "old" reflector lights, and we just picked up a 2022 Model Y P with the new matrix lights. Since I have both cars in my garage, and drive them both on the same roads, with the same level of darkness etc, I feel like I get a very good chance to compare these two lights, at least for myself.

I will say that the matrix lights are "better" than the reflectors, but not enough to lose sleep over, or not enough to spend a bunch of money trying to retrofit them (currently). Neither one is as good as any of the BMWs I have had over the years that had upgraded lighting packages (which I always got when it was an option on them).

Perhaps when (if?) tesla ever enables some additional capability, like swiveling when the steering wheel is turned (like my BMWs did), or additional tunneling with high beams on (like I coded my BMWs to do), I might have a different opinion.
Thanks. That makes me feel better.

Upvote 0
@GoPowerup keep us updated. my service center last time I asked said no to retrofit.

I posted this in the other post.

Did 2020 and/or 2021 M3LR come with the matrix headlights before?

Did you believe your car was going to come equipped with the matrix headlights?

If it did previously and Tesla used matrix headlights on their website for people to configure and order vehicles, you could get protected under the false advertising law.

Common Examples of False Advertising
California law defines false advertising as the making of a false or misleading claim in an effort to induce consumer(s) to purchase a product or retain services. To be held liable for false advertising, a business (or its representative) must have known the claim was false or should have known it was false with the exercise of reasonable care. False advertising takes many different forms. Some examples include:

• Material misrepresentations.
  • Material omissions.
  • Hidden fees.
  • Bait-and-switch tactics.
  • Misleading comparisons.”
If Tesla knew about the supply chain problems and failed to disclose that to the public for awareness, that could be another problem for them.

If you believe that your 2022 M3LR equipped with premium headlights will have a lesser resale value than the 2022 M3LR with matrix headlights, I think you should hire an attorney and file a claim.

I’m sure Tesla can make matrix headlights fit into all 2022 models.

Upvote 0