Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I DIY upgrade to Gen 3 door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two of my Gen 2 door handles have partially failed.

Wondering if it's possible to DIY upgrade to Gen 3. Has anyone done this?

Can I replace it, drive to a SC, enter service mode and stage a fw update? Or would I need Toolbox for something like this? I've heard there may also be some calibration involved with the handle? This true?

I actually don't even mind paying/trying Toolbox for this if instructions are clear.

You absolutely can do this. It’s not super difficult. But you need some patience and a few tips from the forums here and a YouTube video or two. your first one might be. Bit slow and then you will get better and go faster for each one.
the service center can help with the final calibration for a small fee afterwards.

Did you ever get this done/figured out? My vehicle, equipped with Gen 2.0 handles, was in an accident. Due to the type of damage, the body shop replaced the rear passenger door and "upgraded" the door handle to Gen 3.0. The new handle passes Toolbox's 3.0 door handle calibration, but now my car fails to install any new firmware or even redeploy. The handle works to present, retract, open the door, etc. but I'm afraid the failed software updates are because, according to the service manual, the body shop installed the wrong handle generation. According to the Service Manual, Gen 2.0 handles are only ot be replaced with Gen 2.1 handles while Gen 2.5 handles are replaced with Gen 3.0 handles. As a note to this, the car was able to update the firmware BEFORE the body shop, just not AFTER the body shop. The only electrical component changed was the door handle.

Has anyone had this same experience?