Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I drive to the airport and leave my car with some company for them to rent it out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will soon be going to the Oakland airport for a long trip.

I could have sworn that there was a company that was more than happy to let me leave my Tesla with them for the duration while they rented it out, earning me money while I was away.

However the closest thing I can find is Turo, but it doesn't quite work like that. I would need to arrange everything myself: Communicating with the 'guest,' cleaning the car, etc.

Am I crazy, or is there some option like I'm thinking of? Drop off the car, no worries?

Am I crazy, or is there some option like I'm thinking of? Drop off the car, no worries?

I have no idea of if something like that exists, but most people dont even want to leave their car with people they know, and give them the keys. You are talking about giving the car to some strangers and having them rent it out for you like a apartment rental company or something.

That seems like a horrifically bad idea, if something like that even exists.

Personally, I would have to be nuts (not saying you are tho) to leave my car with a company that would then rent it out to a total stranger. If you do this, you should seriously look into the liability issues if there is an accident or breakdown while your $50,000+ car is in the hands of a total stranger

If it’s a one-time thing, in my opinion it’s not worth doing. Too much risk. If you plan to do this multiple times, consider partnering with someone on Turo if you don’t want to handle the logistics yourself.

I’ve only rented Teslas from Turo a few times, but those owner had full-time rental cars, they didn’t rent the cars they drove. I don’t know if that’s typical for Turo hosts.

If you do this, you should seriously look into the liability issues if there is an accident or breakdown while your $50,000+ car is in the hands of a total stranger

What about your insurance? Most companies will deny a claim if they discover it was used for livery. Unless you specifically had a policy that covered that. Then it would get quite expensive.

With Turo, for example, they provide insurance during rentals, with multiple levels of coverage available. Presumably a service such as the one I am asking about would operate similarly.

I will soon be going to the Oakland airport for a long trip.

I could have sworn that there was a company that was more than happy to let me leave my Tesla with them for the duration while they rented it out, earning me money while I was away.

However the closest thing I can find is Turo, but it doesn't quite work like that. I would need to arrange everything myself: Communicating with the 'guest,' cleaning the car, etc.

Here's one that is still working, but apparently not Oakland.

I remember the one you were talking about, and it wasn't named Avail. RelayRides maybe? Turned into Turo.

I would be nervous about even Turo. Not sure how confident I’d feel that a stranger driving my relatively new car would not abuse or scratch it. Even cleaning up the interior after each rental sounds like a lot of work/money.

Actually, for Avail, or the one OP was talking about, one perk is that they would do the cleanup, and in fact give you a free car wash whether the car is rented out or not. Plus free parking at the airport, whether they rent it or not.

I really like the idea, but I also bought the cheapest Model 3 possible so I wouldn't have to worry about it. It's just a car.