Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I drive to the airport and leave my car with some company for them to rent it out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will soon be going to the Oakland airport for a long trip.

I could have sworn that there was a company that was more than happy to let me leave my Tesla with them for the duration while they rented it out, earning me money while I was away.

However the closest thing I can find is Turo, but it doesn't quite work like that. I would need to arrange everything myself: Communicating with the 'guest,' cleaning the car, etc.

Am I crazy, or is there some option like I'm thinking of? Drop off the car, no worries?
You are crazy.

Reactions: Shelburne
no way... whatsoever. yes - turo and Co do offer insurance but not all damage shows up immediately... what if someone bottoms out hard on your Tesla or runs over debris and you end with deep gouges on battery pack? unless you crawl under your car after every rental you won't see it. and if 6 months later something fails and the Service Center says you need a new battery pack... good luck tying that accident back to one specific renter and have the insurance pay out...

FlightCar.. had a friend working there at their inception so to support his business we tried dropping our car off (a Toyota) a couple of times as well as renting. At the beginning things were ok, but then things went downhill due to mismanagement.

I'd rent a car for a week, halfway through the week they'd call to say "actually the owner is back and wants the car". I was staying an hour away from the airport by then.

I'd leave our car for a week, come back and instead of giving us our car they'd say "whoops it's still rented out, here take someone else's car until we get yours back".

Renter who accumulated multiple unpaid parking tickets (not a big deal, FlightCar paid the tickets) .

Renter who lost the keys, and without telling anyone rekeyed the car with a new key (???), so when we got our car back the other set of keys no longer worked. Had to order a new set of keys and reprogram the originals. FlightCar paid for the keys eventually but this was annoying to deal with. Our friend apologized to us and left the company shortly after this event.

Waiting over an hour (with young kids) for them to produce a car we'd reserved to rent. Eventually they said "can you drive a manual?" No idea how much longer we would have waited if we'd said no.

Just to be clear the incentive model was not really for the car owner to make significant money off of the rental, because they paid out very little. It was the convenience and assuredness of driving yourself to the airport without paying for parking (up to $38/day for us), and getting a free detail. They just really weren't able to make it work in the real world.