Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I get a refund for FSD I recently purchased to buy the subscription instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if for the owners who did purchase the $10,000 FSD package, will they be required to get a subscription? The ROI is much better on the subscription price vs. the $10K I paid just 45 days ago. I wonder if package owners will be able to get a refund and move to the subscription package?

Anyone know if for the owners who did purchase the $10,000 FSD package, will they be required to get a subscription? The ROI is much better on the subscription price vs. the $10K I paid just 45 days ago. I wonder if package owners will be able to get a refund and move to the subscription package?
Not 100% sure what you are asking so I will kind of answer what I think you asked. First off if you spent the $10k for FSD you don't need the subscription at all for that car (it also will not be available in your app). As for ROI really depends on lots of things. Will you keep FSD all the time or get rid of it some months? Will you pay now or wait for auto steer on city streets? How long you keep the car etc.

No. You cannot have your FSD purchase refunded and move to the subscription model.

The ROI is much better on the subscription price vs. the $10K I paid just 45 days ago.

This is only true if you plan to have the subscription less than roughly 4 years (assuming the subscription price does not rise- which it likely will with more features)

And honestly less than 4 years if owning FSD adds any resale value- since the subscription would add $0 to resale.

Reactions: THXULTRA
This is only true if you plan to have the subscription less than roughly 4 years (assuming the subscription price does not rise- which it likely will with more features)

And honestly less than 4 years if owning FSD adds any resale value- since the subscription would add $0 to resale.
Exactly this. Also depending on how long you are financing the car for it is possible the extra monthly cost would be less then the $200 subscription price. In the past Tesla paid for the FSD computer upgrade for people that bought FSD they are having subscribers pay for the computer out of pocket.

Reactions: MP3Mike

There is no such thing as "ROI" which stands for "return on investment" for almost all car purchases. The VAST majority of car purchases are not investments, they are expenses, so there is no such thing as ROI here.

I believe I understand what you are attempting to say, which is "I would rather have the subscription than the full package I just bought" but "because it has better ROI" isnt a thing.

I also happen to agree with the general premise that, no, you are not getting a refund for something you already purchased 45 days ago, and neither is anyone else in your same situation.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. As to the ROI comment, my point was save the $10K an invest it, and pay the monthly service fee, vs. using the $10K to buy. The breakeven on the $99/month (I have the enhanced autopilot) is 8.3 years. I great point was made that the purchased FSD package stays with the vehicle, so the resales value is greater on the vehicle. Thanks again to everyone.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. As to the ROI comment, my point was save the $10K an invest it, and pay the monthly service fee, vs. using the $10K to buy. The breakeven on the $99/month (I have the enhanced autopilot) is 8.3 years. I great point was made that the purchased FSD package stays with the vehicle, so the resales value is greater on the vehicle. Thanks again to everyone.

Where I'm confused is- if you already had EAP- it should not have been $10,000 to add FSD....last I knew it was only 5k to go EAP->FSD.

No backsies. All of us who bought FSD are stuck with it. If they allowed refunds it would cost them billions because almost everyone who bought it would want to get their money back and switch to a subscription if and when they have anything that actually approximates FSD.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

you are not quite making sense, because you first say you spent 10k on FSD, then say you have enhanced autopilot (which would not have cost 10k to upgrade from EAP to FSD).

Either you paid 10k for FSD on a new vehicle, or you have EAP on a current vehicle and bought an upgrade to FSD 45 days ago, which wasnt 10k, or you dont have EAP but have AP which came with the new vehicle and paid 10k to upgrade. Which is it?

you are not quite making sense, because you first say you spent 10k on FSD, then say you have enhanced autopilot (which would not have cost 10k to upgrade from EAP to FSD).

Either you paid 10k for FSD on a new vehicle, or you have EAP on a current vehicle and bought an upgrade to FSD 45 days ago, which wasnt 10k, or you dont have EAP but have AP which came with the new vehicle and paid 10k to upgrade. Which is it?
Sorry for the confusion. I bought a new vehicle with the $10K FSD package.

Sorry for the confusion. I bought a new vehicle with the $10K FSD package.

Ok,

you would not have been eligible for the $99 package, because your car did not come with "enhanced autopilot". It came with "autopilot". Your price would have been $199 per month for the subscription. See @Knightshade 's post #4 on the economics there.

Nevertheless, if you want to do that, you would need to sell your vehicle and buy one without FSD. They are not going to refund money (yet, unless there is a lawsuit etc).

I asked for a FSD refund 3.5 weeks after delivery back in Oct 2020 and Tesla told me I had only 7 days to receive refund. FSD is junk in my area, I can't use it or I risk crashing.