Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I get some advice for installing a public charging station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a system that manages load between several chargers?
It's such a good idea, Tesla patented it:
From an EVworld article:

"Permit me to introduce you to U.S. Patent 8,643,330.

The patent has been awarded to Tesla Motors on Feb. 4, 2014 and covers a "method of distributing charging power among a plurality of charge ports of a battery charging station…" In layman's language, the system offers the ability to charge multiple electric cars from a single charging station using prioritization algorithms, several of which hold some surprises."
Tesla's Multi-Vehicle Charging Patent Dissected : EVWORLD.COM

But, like many patents, there are few if any products that can be purchased that use the patent. ChargePoint has some (relatively expense) dual-nozzle EVSEs that will split the power of a single 30-amp circuit between two cars. Tesla doesn't have a product that implements this patent, but at least with Tesla, this should be available for a 3rd party to implement.

I agree that this is something that needs to be developed. A way for multiple EVSEs to work together to manage the total power available for charging many cars at the same time.

Tesla just emailed me- they will provide two free HPWC. They didn't mention throwing in an additional J1772. I've asked them about this. There aren't many Tesla here yet and it would be nice to offer both options.

That's great! What is your business? We may be looking for a place to charge near Pensacola this summer when we go to Destin and take a side trip to the Naval Aviation museum.

You mentioned there aren't many Teslas there yet. I think there will be once the I-10 supercharger route is finished this year. Remember it's not local Teslas that will be stopping to charge, they charge at home in their garage and with their range usually don't need a local place to charge, it's travelers in Teslas that will be stopping at your place.

You mentioned there aren't many Teslas there yet. I think there will be once the I-10 supercharger route is finished this year. Remember it's not local Teslas that will be stopping to charge, they charge at home in their garage and with their range usually don't need a local place to charge, it's travelers in Teslas that will be stopping at your place.

This is an excellent point.

The Florida panhandle is pretty much a charger wasteland right now and high capacity chargers will be important to complement the Supercharger network.

It is interesting to note that there are significantly more Model Ss registered in the state of Florida (2524) than LEAFs (1460). As TexasEV correctly points out it is the Model Ss that are taking the road trips both across the state and from other states, not for the most part LEAFs which as you know are commuting vehicles. The only plug in EV that has more cars registered in the the state of Florida than the Model S is the Volt (3676), but of course being a hybrid the need for chargers in the Panhandle is less of a concern since they can just switch to gasoline and be on their way.

Larry

Edit: The numbers quoted above are year-end 2014 Florida DMV registration statistics.

Last edited:
Doubt they'd do that. I suspect those locations that install J1772s alongside of HPWC are doing it at their own expense so as to not alienate non-Tesla EV drivers.

Tesla supplied 2 HPWC's and a J-1772 with our destination charging package which was installed last fall

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information.

I am informed that each location is negotiated on a case-by-case basis. There is no guarantee that Tesla will provide anything and providing J1772s is rarely done.

Larry

I am informed that each location is negotiated on a case-by-case basis. There is no guarantee that Tesla will provide anything and providing J1772s is rarely done.

Larry

There are always outlier situations. And to Tesla's credit, at most of the destination charging locations, they've also supplied a J1772 for other PEVs. Paid for by Tesla for the owners of cars manufactured by companies other than Tesla.
Well this is confusing.
I can only offer my observation, albeit of one destination case only - HPWC AND J1772. Hotel.

Well this is confusing.
I can only offer my observation, albeit of one destination case only - HPWC AND J1772. Hotel.

I've heard that the offer for a single J1772 with a pair of HPWC's happens more often than not for qualifying locations. The only way to find out for a particular location is to apply and see what happens. It does not hurt to ask.

E-mail: [email protected]
Web: Destination Charging Interest Form

That's great, but I'm pretty sure they're not doing that everywhere.

If not for getting the stuff for free, and if it were up to me, I'd just install x number of 80 amp J1772 stations. Full power for Teslas and compatibility for all.
Even if someone wasn't getting the HPWCs for free, they're still only about 1/3 the price of an 80A J1772 ($750 US dollars for HPWC vs. $2195 for Clipper Creek CS-100).

Even if someone wasn't getting the HPWCs for free, they're still only about 1/3 the price of an 80A J1772 ($750 US dollars for HPWC vs. $2195 for Clipper Creek CS-100).

Yeah, I've noticed that. I still use my UMC at home but have been considering some sort of permanent solution. I only have 50 amps available in the garage, which would work with the appropriate dip switch settings on a HPWC. Problem is, I might consider another EV or a plug-in hybrid to replace our second ICE car and would rather have a J1772 station but even the lower powered ones are much more expensive. A Tesla to J1772 adapter (i.e. the reverse of the one that comes with the car) would be perfect for me in this situation.

That's great, but I'm pretty sure they're not doing that everywhere.

If not for getting the stuff for free, and if it were up to me, I'd just install x number of 80 amp J1772 stations. Full power for Teslas and compatibility for all.

I might add that despite getting the HPWC's and Clipper charger for free from Tesla, we spent about $7500 putting in a 150 KVA transformer and wiring up the two 80 Amp HPWC's and Clipper level II charger. We already had two Schneider Electric Level II chargers in place. It is a robust installation located outside and has to cope with the elements including heavy snow (plowing). Tesla also helped to co-fund the installation. Beyond that, I added lighting and connected a video camera overlooking the charging area to our resort security system. It is not inexpensive to add public charging especially if it is outside subject to harsh elements and you want good security but we are all-in with EV deployment so I was glad we could work something out with Tesla AND get on their charging map. It has already been good for our business and I am confident it is a good investment for Tesla.