Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can i have 2 key fobs for model S?

Sanderpman12

Jul 27, 2021
Charlotte NC
Hey guys,

i just joined the tesla family and am so happy!

just bought a 2013 tesla p85 and will never go back.

I only got 1 key fob. If i bought another keyfob for my wife, how do i make it so that both our keyfobs will work with the car?

is that even possible?

Thanks

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
Eureka, Montana

This thread might help.

Sanderpman12

Jul 27, 2021
Charlotte NC

This thread might help.
Hey thanks for the reply. It looks like that thread is for someone who lost a key. I was wondering if i can have 2 keys like non tesla cars have and both of the fobs work without 1 fob deactivating when the other is active. Is this even possible?

NathanJax

Apr 15, 2021
Jax, Fl
Hey guys,

I only got 1 key fob. If i bought another keyfob for my wife, how do i make it so that both our keyfobs will work with the car?

is that even possible?

Thanks

Yes you can have 2. Set up appointment for tesla, they will come to you and program it for you.

NathanJax

Apr 15, 2021
Jax, Fl
Ok cool, thanks! Do you know how much it costs? I saw that on my 2013 tesla, there is a setting for key fobs. So i guess i can do it myself then instead of asking them?
I think it's about $175 for the fob and the setup. Before I purchased my S in April, the previous owner had it done ( I told him I wanted 2 keys with it)

murphyS90D

Jul 2, 2016
Horsham, PA
Hey guys,

is that even possible?

Thanks
You can't do it yourself. Tesla will sell and program the fob. Both fobs must be present when the programming is done.
I had a 2014 and now have a 2016 Tesla. Both came with two fobs.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC