Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I ignore messages about scheduling my delivery?

I placed an order for a Model Y back in June 2020 and have been fortunate that I've been able to delay my order by completing the bare minimum of my delivery/order tasks. Back in Dec. 2021 when many with old orders were receiving notice that they had to accept delivery soon or their order would be canceled, I received a more mild "please just select a delivery location" or your order will be cancelled noticed. Since I confirmed my location, I've been getting messages from the local Tesla shop that my Y will be available late March and that I need to select a delivery time window. There's been no mention of needing to do so in order to not lose my order, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and how strict this timing may be? I thought Tesla assigned the delivery windows, but in this instance I'm being asked to voluntarily select one.

To this point, I have filled out my registration details, although I've not actually submitted them as complete. I definitely intend to take the Y when I have to, but I've just putting it off because my partner got a Y back in 2020 and we honestly don't have a need for two vehicles right now. That said, my configuration is $15k less than current rates and I certainly don't want to lose it.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
I placed an order for a Model Y back in June 2020 and have been fortunate that I've been able to delay my order by completing the bare minimum of my delivery/order tasks. Back in Dec. 2021 when many with old orders were receiving notice that they had to accept delivery soon or their order would be canceled, I received a more mild "please just select a delivery location" or your order will be cancelled noticed. Since I confirmed my location, I've been getting messages from the local Tesla shop that my Y will be available late March and that I need to select a delivery time window. There's been no mention of needing to do so in order to not lose my order, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and how strict this timing may be? I thought Tesla assigned the delivery windows, but in this instance I'm being asked to voluntarily select one.

To this point, I have filled out my registration details, although I've not actually submitted them as complete. I definitely intend to take the Y when I have to, but I've just putting it off because my partner got a Y back in 2020 and we honestly don't have a need for two vehicles right now. That said, my configuration is $15k less than current rates and I certainly don't want to lose it.
If you really want to take delivery, I suggest you knock out the rest of the steps pronto. At $15k under current prices, you could just take delivery and sell it a month later and probably net a nice payday.

Tesla is no longer accepting multiple hold requests. You get to be not-ready or have logistical issues with taking delivery one time. After that you need to take the car you ordered.
Actually in this instance, I never asked to hold delivery at any point (since I filled in as little delivery info as possible); however, since my order was so old it became a take it or leave situation - which I completely understand. I opted to take it and couldn't be happier! Still given the recent backlash Rivian faced with their price changes to existing orders (and subsequent walk back) I think it's remarkable that I could have a reservation for as long as I did, only put $100 down, and essentially got my Y at a 20% discount from current pricing.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC