Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I ignore messages about scheduling my delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a Model Y back in June 2020 and have been fortunate that I've been able to delay my order by completing the bare minimum of my delivery/order tasks. Back in Dec. 2021 when many with old orders were receiving notice that they had to accept delivery soon or their order would be canceled, I received a more mild "please just select a delivery location" or your order will be cancelled noticed. Since I confirmed my location, I've been getting messages from the local Tesla shop that my Y will be available late March and that I need to select a delivery time window. There's been no mention of needing to do so in order to not lose my order, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and how strict this timing may be? I thought Tesla assigned the delivery windows, but in this instance I'm being asked to voluntarily select one.

To this point, I have filled out my registration details, although I've not actually submitted them as complete. I definitely intend to take the Y when I have to, but I've just putting it off because my partner got a Y back in 2020 and we honestly don't have a need for two vehicles right now. That said, my configuration is $15k less than current rates and I certainly don't want to lose it.

I placed an order for a Model Y back in June 2020 and have been fortunate that I've been able to delay my order by completing the bare minimum of my delivery/order tasks. Back in Dec. 2021 when many with old orders were receiving notice that they had to accept delivery soon or their order would be canceled, I received a more mild "please just select a delivery location" or your order will be cancelled noticed. Since I confirmed my location, I've been getting messages from the local Tesla shop that my Y will be available late March and that I need to select a delivery time window. There's been no mention of needing to do so in order to not lose my order, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and how strict this timing may be? I thought Tesla assigned the delivery windows, but in this instance I'm being asked to voluntarily select one.

To this point, I have filled out my registration details, although I've not actually submitted them as complete. I definitely intend to take the Y when I have to, but I've just putting it off because my partner got a Y back in 2020 and we honestly don't have a need for two vehicles right now. That said, my configuration is $15k less than current rates and I certainly don't want to lose it.
If you really want to take delivery, I suggest you knock out the rest of the steps pronto. At $15k under current prices, you could just take delivery and sell it a month later and probably net a nice payday.

Tesla is no longer accepting multiple hold requests. You get to be not-ready or have logistical issues with taking delivery one time. After that you need to take the car you ordered.
Actually in this instance, I never asked to hold delivery at any point (since I filled in as little delivery info as possible); however, since my order was so old it became a take it or leave situation - which I completely understand. I opted to take it and couldn't be happier! Still given the recent backlash Rivian faced with their price changes to existing orders (and subsequent walk back) I think it's remarkable that I could have a reservation for as long as I did, only put $100 down, and essentially got my Y at a 20% discount from current pricing.