Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I install a dashcam tapping the mic power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the answer is "no," based on what I'm seeing in other posts, but here's a photo of the wires under the microphone/speaker panel in the roof of the car. (Delivered Dec. '15.)

Am I missing the constant 12V "extra" harness for tapping from up here? If so, do I have to tap in to the fuse box or OBD instead?

Thanks!
2016-05-02 15.06.13.jpg

I've been agonizing over using the constant power connector. I have a S70D made in February. Service Center company line, it might void warranty. Rumor- it might run down 12v battery. My logic: I have he HD audio, with. 550 watt amp blasting tunes and the air conditioning on, after I put it in park, and I've sat in it for an hour. No 12v battery messages. When I'm parked, seems like the dual cams would use a fraction of the combined amp and A/C loading, and people seem to do it. This seems like the easiest way to get constant 12v to the camera area.

Has anyone had a problem (preferably anyone with HD audio and dual dashcams had a problem using constant power for a dashcam ?

I've been agonizing over using the constant power connector. I have a S70D made in February. Service Center company line, it might void warranty. Rumor- it might run down 12v battery. My logic: I have he HD audio, with. 550 watt amp blasting tunes and the air conditioning on, after I put it in park, and I've sat in it for an hour. No 12v battery messages. When I'm parked, seems like the dual cams would use a fraction of the combined amp and A/C loading, and people seem to do it. This seems like the easiest way to get constant 12v to the camera area.

Has anyone had a problem (preferably anyone with HD audio and dual dashcams had a problem using constant power for a dashcam ?

Best as I've been able to tell, there are a few people who went with the spare connector and have had no problems at all. My understanding is that the draw from the dualcam is incredibly low, especially if you enable "parking" mode (where it's vibration activated, if your cam supports that).

We have dual Blackvues in both of our S (see below) tapped into the connector in the headliner you have taped down. The current draw is pretty trivial, and the 12v is recharged automatically by the DC-to-DC converter. No worries. No need for PowerMagic or a switched circuit. Even if you do not use Parking Mode (not sure why you would not) you really won't be able to kill the 12v battery.

Thanks for weighing in- since I have the spare connector, I think I'll go that route. Plan B is a 12v power brick, but I have a huge power brick (70KW) under my car. Be seen so many good videos from the Blackvue 650, Hats my first choice. Amazon reviews seem to moly a high failure rate, but I try to look at that stuff with a lot of suspicion that there are a lot of shills out there.