Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I install charger on an existing 70amp breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, to follow on @mikemarmar, per code in just about every area, the breaker has to match the outlet and wiring. A higher breaker could submit the breaker and wiring to excessive current, warming or burning the wires/outlet with a threat of fire and equipment damage. Technically in some locations you can go smaller but it’s a dumb choice. You would need to mark the outlet with a lower A rating stating the breaker size so a person wouldn’t plug-in something that constantly trips the undersized breaker.

It’s 14-50, and I know many including myself install that on 60amp breakers with no issues as it’s whats locally readily available. So if 60 is ok why not 70? Will check entire circuit and wiring for heat etc… just looking for proper explanation, not just refer to label.

Problem is the outlet is rated for 50a. Something bad happens and it pulls 60 (or 70) for a while the outlet may fail (burn) and the circuit breaker wouldn’t do anything.

Sure, it will work, if providing power to the outlet is the definition of working. But it will not provide the intended safety function in the unlikely event that it is needed.

Reactions: esantosnyc
Thank u for all ur replies really appreciate it 😘. So it seems like the outlet is the limiting factor. Where do u guys get 14 - 60 or 70 outlets from?
In almost every case Level 2 (240V) charging an EV at over 50A requires a hard wired installation, i.e. no outlet. I recall reading that there was one manufacturer of EVSE that offered a NEMA 14-60 plug but I have not seen anything more about this. None of the major manufacturers of EVSE support more than a 14-50 or 6-50 50A receptacle. Higher amperage EVSE, i.e. 60A and 80A are always hard wired.

The Gen1/Gen2 Tesla HPWC are capable of charging at up to 80A on a 100A circuit. The current Gen3 Wall Connector is limited to 48A on a 60A circuit.