TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

can i just buy 14-30 adapters from Tesla shop and plug into my dryer's outlet?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by coolmanfever, Dec 29, 2019.

1. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

My dryer's outlet is right next to my rental house's garage. It is easily reachable by mobile connector. I am moving out the rental house in few months so there is no point to install a new 14-50 outlet or wall charger. Plus. 14-50 adapter is out of stock for some reason online.

In the mean time, can I just buy 14-30 adapters from Tesla shop and plug it into the dryer's power outlet to charge my car? Thank you.

2. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

Yes

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Absolutely. That should work perfect as a temporary solution and at very little cost.

Those outlets were not made to be plugged in and out daily so be very careful when you do. Pull it out slowly and support the outlet with you other hand when you do. Please be very careful with your hand placement. Hopefully you only dry your clothes once a week and can keep your mobile charger plugged in normally and don’t need to physically take it with you during a normal week.

4. rags11fsu

rags11fsu Member

Yes, I have charging at work; but home charge this way on weekends every couple of weeks. Works great

5. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

That's how I charge Tessie. I picked up a heavy-duty power cable extension, plugged it into the dryer outlet, other end is where the mobile connector snaps in. Good idea not to unplug-plug in repeatedly. Amazon carries extension cables.

• Like x 1
  6. cybergates

cybergates Member

yep esp if you have a gas dryer this was a no brainer for me in my previous house and provided excellent charging speed

7. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Note that some dryer receptacles are 10-30. Newer ones are 14-30, but all the old ones are 10-30.

Tesla sells both adapters, so just make sure to get the right one.

Sounds like a great solution for short term use.