Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I leave my car outside year round?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks y'all-- Any idea where I can find some winter tires the same price as the gemini package? I went with the performance model but need winter tires for the next few months.
If you don’t have the car yet I highly recommend the Tesla option as they come with everything balanced and tpms installed. Just put a notification order so you know when it’s back in stock.
Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Reactions: traxion
I also plan to monitor its battery each day to make sure it's on the upper end of battery life.
This is overkill, depending on how you do it. I plan to check once a year, if that.

I do look once a week at what the app thinks it has for range, when adjusting SOC anyway, but don't ping the car in the app every day, and use no 3rd party data options. Tesla says they can degrade stuff. Not too fussed about range, has an 8 year / 120k warranty, I'm good with that. Maybe I'll worry about it in year 7.

You might want to be aware that a warm battery, relative to the ambient temp, can attract creatures looking for any warmth.
The Tesla battery management system (BMS) will only warm the battery while charging, while preconditioning, while driving in cold weather or when navigating to a Supercharger. The rest of the time the Tesla vehicle does not warm the battery while the Tesla vehicle is parked, even in cold temperatures.

The Tesla battery management system (BMS) will only warm the battery while charging, while preconditioning, while driving in cold weather or when navigating to a Supercharger. The rest of the time the Tesla vehicle does not warm the battery while the Tesla vehicle is parked, even in cold temperatures.
While the BMS does not warm the battery unless charging or navigating to a SC, etc., you will be charging at home which could take a number of hours depending on use and charger size.

When ICE cars are parked after use, the heat dissipates fairly quickly yet rodents, etc. manage to "snuggle up", An EV will be warmer than the surrounding area for longer until the SOC is brought back to where you set it, giving critters an opportunity to get warm and maybe snack on some of the wire harness coverings.

Not saying this will happen to you, but it has been known to happen (and not just on Tesla's) and you should be aware of the possibility. I keep my MY essentially outside (NYS) and spray the underside, the accessible harnesses in the frunk and the gravel under the car with rodent repellent just to be on the safeside. I've got mousetraps in the rear of my Subaru Forester, but my wife won't let me put them in the MY.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
While the BMS does not warm the battery unless charging or navigating to a SC, etc., you will be charging at home which could take a number of hours depending on use and charger size.

When ICE cars are parked after use, the heat dissipates fairly quickly yet rodents, etc. manage to "snuggle up", An EV will be warmer than the surrounding area for longer until the SOC is brought back to where you set it, giving critters an opportunity to get warm and maybe snack on some of the wire harness coverings.

Not saying this will happen to you, but it has been known to happen (and not just on Tesla's) and you should be aware of the possibility. I keep my MY essentially outside (NYS) and spray the underside, the accessible harnesses in the frunk and the gravel under the car with rodent repellent just to be on the safeside. I've got mousetraps in the rear of my Subaru Forester, but my wife won't let me put them in the MY.
If a vehicle sits parked it does not take long for animals to lose their fear and investigate the vehicle as a possible source of food, shelter and nesting materials. I would be concerned about any vehicle parked outside for any length of time.

I'm looking to buy a tesla model y and own it year-round but there's one potential problem: I don't have a garage. I also live in Minnesota where temps get pretty cold. My plan is to charge it after every other drive and I only plan to drive it maybe 3 times a week. I also plan to monitor its battery each day to make sure it's on the upper end of battery life.

I'm fine with it losing a few miles and having to recharge it and have read up on pre-conditioning it or on really cold days that go into the negatives keeping it charged. I can do all of this. My primary worry/question is: will it degrade/hurt the battery to have it out in the cold? My resale timeline will be roughly 3-4 years. In that time I plan to move to an apartment with a heated garage or may move to SF depending on my job. Will it be able to get through this year without degradation?
I spend about half of my time in the Mohawk Valley in New York which is not quite as cold as Minestora (but has more snow). I'm in an apartment and park outside in an area with no electric outlet, not even 120V, so Supercharging is my refueling of choice. Since I'm retired, I don't drive most days of the week at all. I love that I can use the app to preheat and defrost the car ahead of driving.

The other half of the time I have a heated garage with a Tesla Wall Connector. This is definitely better, but still, it's all good. After about a year, the battery still seems fine, less range in cold weather just as expected.

CarCoverSnow.jpg

• Love
Reactions: traxion
Any idea how often they restock? I'll need to get them ASAP
I've been watching since August, never saw them back in stock.

I just bought some from a local indy tire shop, mounted them on the stock rims. Found the last set of studless snow tires in the warehouse for the area back in early October.

Plan on getting nicer new rims to mount the summer tires in mid winter. Everything has long lead times, like months.

Plenty of people here in Quebec, Canada have Teslas, and they are very popular in the Nordic countries. IF they would degrade that much, it wouldn't be the case. Extreme heat has proven to be worse on battery longevity than cold. The car will heat the battery when needed for charging, will reduce regen (i.e. charging) when the battery's too cold... essentially, no harmful operation will happen when the battery is too cold to do it.
I have an MS and this is from the manual:

“For better long-term performance, avoid exposing Model S to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time.”

However, I suggest the Canadian contingent likely has the best advice. 😉
I'd check out this video about starting a Tesla after leaving it outside all night in -34C from Saskatchewan Canada:

Hopefully we won't get too many days of -30C weather in a row this winter, but not much we can do about it up here in Quebec.

Reactions: GtiMart